Need roofing advise

Old 10-31-04, 07:31 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need roofing advise

I had a roof change a few days ago from a very reputable company. When they did the house that belongs to us also last year it was ok.

The kob that was done a few days ago looks awful. I need some clarification.

1. Drip edge was install 1-2" from the facia then shingloes overhung another 1-2" from the edge of the drip edge this left about 2.5" opening of the eavestrough Is this correct?

2 tar paper was installed vertically...yes from top to bottom not left to right.

3. At edges the felt tiles were short. so they just slid aprox 2-4" of tile under to meet the edge( visually looks awful)

4. nails under shings ( can feel them) some shingle edges are broken of and few are not nailed ie. only one nail holding them.

5. At peak where crown is placed just below there is caulking everywhere to hide nails that crown didn't cover.

6 Shingles aren't very straight meaning when you look down (wavey)

Is this a bad job? What can I do

Only thing I know that was installed correctly was the ice shealed.

What can I do within reason and the law to correct the problem.

Old 10-31-04, 08:02 PM
joseph123
Visiting Guest
Sounds terrible.

I am in the market for a new roof and one item I insist on the contract is for the roof to be asthetically good - straight lines, etc.

Please, post the roofer company name!

Old 11-01-04, 05:33 AM
Careful.
First thing you do is call the roofer and tell him that you are unhappy with the job and explain why.

He may have sub-contracted out his crew and he may agree that it is a bad job. If so, he may just do it over with a different crew.

If he doesn't respond to your wishes, then you pursue other options.

Old 11-01-04, 05:47 AM
J
I hate to hear these stories. This kind of workmanship is what gives the roofing industry a bad reputation. Not many do this, but it spoils it for the rest of us.
Jim

Old 11-01-04, 08:06 AM
joseph123
Visiting Guest
My next door neighboor re-roofed his home which is of a similar size to our - 40 squares.

He had several bids and went with a "reputable" roofing contractor (I forget who it was at the moment).

Anyways, he like me had estimates between $16-20K - He accepted the $19k contract which was on the higher end range.

One year into the new roof and the roof leaked. They "repaired" it. 2 years later, more leaks. They came out again and worked on it. This year, it has not leaked so far... I am not sure what others think, but this is not acceptable to me as a consumer who just spent 20k on a new roof.

Old 11-01-04, 08:36 AM
M
If I'm not mistaken, #4 is a code violation. Most states require 4 nails per shingle, some 6 (2 per tab).

Old 11-01-04, 11:41 AM
E
Update

Well the inspection supervisor came today to look at the roof. He stated that the vertical application of tar paper was acceptable and he looked and will report to his findings.

Yes this is a reputable company in business since 1922. They did the our other house next to us which was an impecable job. and my nieghbours. Unfortunately we did not get the same crew that did our other house next to us and our neighbours....go figure.

Well guess we will have to wait and see how good they are???

I told them that paying awhat I paid them that I should not be going and climbing the roof to inspect they're job. Anyway thanks for all the info and hope that they resolve it.

Old 11-01-04, 02:57 PM
WTF.. verticle tarpaper installation is a leak waiting to happen. I would be less then nice about any single issue here, let alone all in one job. Only one they missed was shingling from the top down. I would be canceling payment on my check if it was payed for.

Old 11-02-04, 09:59 AM
greenstick23
Visiting Guest
Sounds bad

Roofing 101 would indicate a horizontal application of the felt paper and no nails under the singles. This was obviously done by a crew that didn't know or didn't care, either way call the roofing or call a lawyer. Good luck.

Old 11-04-04, 01:24 PM
Bad Job

Sounds like a job that continually justifies my profession. "Roofing Consultant".

As previously pointed out..the first course of action is to voice your concerns with the Company.
Then, if they won't do anything about it, hire a roofing consultant to perform an evaluation and produce a written report with photographs. You can find a local one at www.rci-online.org (roof consultants institute).
Let him know ahead of time the possible litigious nature of this situation.

He should reference manufacturers requirements, industry standards, local codes, etc., in comparison with what was installed....and send a copy of the report to the roofing company "certified mail"...demanding action.

If in 30 days, you still get no response...give a copy of the report to your attorney.

And NO... leaks are not to be tolerated (if they are indeed roof related) on any "new" roof.

Old 11-05-04, 07:55 AM
M
Hey Hellrazor,

I've racked my brain on this and I can't figure out why--why is vertically applied tarpaper a "leak waiting to happen?"

Old 11-05-04, 09:12 AM
Felt Paper

The felt paper or underlayment performs two primary functions: it provides temporary weather protection until a roof covering is installed, and it provides a secondary weatherproofing barrier should moisture infiltrate the asphalt shingles.
Remember shingles are not waterproof, merely water resistant.

In addition, underlayments generally are necessary with asphalt shingle roof systems for the following reasons:
to comply with local building codes
to maintain a Class A, B or C fire rating for a roof assembly
to meet the requirements of the manufacturer for a material or system warranty.

Good roofing practice suggests that the felts be installed perpendicular to the slope. However; on a very steep slope, vertical application or "strapping" is permitted.

Old 11-05-04, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by mrchris
Hey Hellrazor,

I've racked my brain on this and I can't figure out why--why is vertically applied tarpaper a "leak waiting to happen?"
Well in a normal application of tar paper, the horizontal installation is tiered with overlaping the same as shingles are. So any leak in the shingles will cascade down the tarpaper. Tarpaper installed in a vertical fashion, on a roof that has any low spots or its not perfectly level will allow the water to get under the overlap of the tarpaper and contact the sheathing. The 2 factors metioned above would not cause a problem on properly installed tarpaper.

Old 11-06-04, 02:48 PM
E
Roofing consultant

Thanks to all who are giving me advise, this place always surprises me of the knowledge that is here and the natural human nature to just help one another....again THANKS!!!

Well another update.

We called the roofing company to find out what they're inspector found and get the deficiancies in writing from them. As I expected not to much co-operation. I was told that a crew was coming out later in the day to make repairs. We then told them that I don't want anyone to show up until they give us in writing they're findings. As are seeking "advise" Now the production manager is coming Monday to talk to us and see for himself.

We as stated here are going to get a second oppinion from a roofing consultant which we never knew even existed. I also had a closer look a second time and found that they acually may have run out of the feltpaper and just kept going. So to me that alone is breach of contract.Nails under the shingles everywhere.

How do I know that this company can do a good job? Again they did my neigbours and our other house next door.

Oh yes and thanks I did ask them are the persons who did this roof employees of the company or subcontractors. I was told they are subcontractors that work exclusively for them. So this may or may not be industry standard, I am still trying to work that one out.

All in all I paid a premium price 5200.00 dollars for a small roof so I do not want repairs to a new roof.

Am I being a little anal about this? Please be frank and critise if you feel I am not correct in my thoughts.

Again thanks to all!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: