advice needed on galvalume roofing

Old 11-03-04, 08:25 AM
zliminator
Visiting Guest
advice needed on galvalume roofing

My cousin who lives here in central FL wants to buy and install a galvalume roof. He wants me to do the research (instructional videos or how-to guides or books). How hard could it be? He's pretty handy. Are there any resources for diy'ers? <flame-resistant barriers in place>

Dan

dansteely2001 at yahoo

Old 11-03-04, 06:40 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Galvalume just refers to the Zinc alloy of the metal. It is available in all profiles and shapes. Common in trapazoidal panels with various types of attachment. Is you roof a structural, low sloped one on purlins or an architectural one on a roof deck?
Jim

Old 11-03-04, 09:14 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=zliminator]How hard could it be? QUOTE]

Dan, when I see that phrase, BIG RED FLAGS go up! Nothing's hard if you know the technology, but if you are asking that question, then you don't know. Another thing to consider is the steepness and complexity of the roof line. If it's a simple gable-to-gable roof with no valleys or dormers, and it's walkable, then the risk is low. However, throw in a dormer or three and some valleys, and a steep slope, and you're going to have to learn techniques that good roofers know and bad ones don't. Before you commit, take a very honest assessment of your capabilities.

Old 11-05-04, 07:32 AM
zliminator
Visiting Guest
risk assessment

Well, that's what I told him. Its low to the ground and not steep, but its not trivial as far as the shape. I won't say you didn't warn me.

Dan

Old 11-05-04, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs down

If its cut up like you say and he dont know sheet metal work. As how the seams work forget it.

ED

Old 11-05-04, 04:14 PM
zliminator
Visiting Guest
I've asked around some more and its not for the faint

of heart. You have to cut & fit everything exact and you can't twist it when screwing it down. Its heavy and with sharp edges and takes more than 2 people. When you cut it, the pieces go everywhere and its just hard to work with. I'm sure not gonna try it. I told him to hire someone that had the experience.

Dan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: