Help - need ballpark figures

Old 11-08-04, 03:22 PM
jazmateta
Visiting Guest
Cool Help - need ballpark figures

Hello All,

Hopefully someone can give me some sound advice. I am looking into the purchase of a house that currently has a tar and gravel roof. I have heard that torch down is a better bet when you are ready to reroof a mostly flat roof. If this is not the case please advise. This home will need a reroof within a year or two. The house is in Central Florida, has 1900 gross square feet, slight pitch, the normal vents for two baths, kitchen and laundry all clustered together; as well as a fireplace that is block and about 3'x2'. I have called several roofing companies to attempt get a VERY rough estimate of the cost of replacement - explaining that I am aware that some of the decking may need some work and that an estimate is just that - an estimate. NO ONE will even give me the average cost per square foot for this torch down so that I can see if I am looking at $4K or $20K for this roof. This is one of two items that may be a deal breaker for the purchase. The other thing is the seller is wanting to be out before the end of the year (sooner the better) and most of the roofers are saying that they cannot get out to do an estimate that is not hurricane related for three weeks or more.

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.
Jazmateta

Old 11-09-04, 09:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Guestimate

There is an artical in one of this months trade magazines, that says "as many as 250,000 roofs in Florida require replacement or extensive repairs"
So don't expect anything to happen too fast down there.

Replacement could be anywhere in the $4 to $8 a square foot range.

How many layers to tear off?
Deck replacement?
Doof mounted AC compressors?
Sat. Dishes?
Antennas?
Rotted Fascia?
Colored Metal required?
# Stories?
Expansion joints?
Risewalls?
Transitions?
Access difficulty?
Material Type?
Insulation requirements?
....the list goes on and on.......

.....all these unknowns are why no one wants to get pinned down on a price.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: