How to vent this soffit-less roof

Old 11-08-04, 09:38 PM
hhsieh
Visiting Guest
How to vent this soffit-less roof

Hello,

The house (1 story ranch) I just purchased has a garage converted familiy room. My neighbor told me recently that the provious owner had water leak issue due to early spring "water-dam" effect for the past few years. I believe it is basically a attic ventilation issue. When I looked into potential resolution, I found that the fascia board connecting to the roof is basically flushed with the garage exterior wall, i.e., there is no soffit under fascia. I'm familiar with how to install soffit vent to alleviate the roof venting issue, but I do have soffit to work with. Not being able to attch a picture, I did a diagram with characters to illustrate my situation:

/
// Attic
//
// _____________________
// / *** horiz ceiling
// / *
// / * ** indicating areas of previous
// / slanted water damage areas
// / ceiling
// /
| /
facia | |
|__|
| |
| |
| |
| |
Brick | |
wall | |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

My question is if it is a good idea to put openings (vent grilles) on the vertically oriented fascia board If so what kind of vent grille would be best (both functional & appearence). Would this setup be prone to moisture that gets blown into the attic? Based on the sketch, do I have any other options to vent the space above the slanted portion of the ceiling.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 11-08-04, 09:49 PM
hhsieh
Visiting Guest
Another attempt to post my diagram

The diagram in my previous note did not come out good. Let me make another attempt....

................./
................// Attic
...............//
..............//.._______________
.............//../ ***.........horiz ceiling
............//../ *
...........//../ *...............................** indicating areas of previous
..........//../.slanted.....................................water damage areas
.........//../..ceiling
........//../
........|../
facia..|..|
........|__|
.........| |
.........| |
.........| |
.........| |..............................The slanted portion of the ceiling
Brick..| |...............................is about 45 degree to horizontal
wall...| |
.........| |
.........| |
.........| |

Last edited by hhsieh; 11-08-04 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-27-04, 06:54 AM
kwick65
Visiting Guest
there is a product made called vented drip edge. It requires you to cut our the bottom of the roof decking(about 2 inches) and install the new drip edge which has vents in the overlap. Your roofing supplier will be able to show you and explain this better for you. good luck
kirk

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: