New roof install, need advice

Old 11-10-04, 08:41 PM
nebackanezar
Visiting Guest
New roof install, need advice

Hello all,

I am having a new roof installed and would like some advice. My first question is on the product proposed. I am going with architectural asphalt shingles and on my 2 current estimates, one roofer uses Tamko Heritage series shingles and the other uses GAF Timberline. Is any one better than the other? My second question is on roof ventilation. One of my quotes suggests using static vents and the other ridge ventilation. Again here, what should i go with? The one thing i find a little bizarre is the price difference between the 2 so far. The roofer with the GAF product is almost $3000.00 more than the other? This roofer is also the one suggesting using ridge vents. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-11-04, 05:35 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
30 & 40 year GAF and Tamko are close equals. Pricing on shingles about the same. Ventillation should be min 1:300, ceiling ratio. I like ridge vents, but they require good soffet vents and no rafter blocking to work. Properly placed turtle vents are OK. $3000 is a lot of difference. Ask the low guy for numbers on ridge venting and Tamko.
Jim

Old 11-11-04, 07:33 AM
nebackanezar
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info Jim. I am getting another quote today, so we will see what happens. I think i will go with the ridge vent, but will make sure about the soffits. The lower priced guy is suggesting mushroom vents, are those different than turtle vents? Also, the higher priced quote says that if you go with static vents, you should also get a turbine vent. Is this true?

Old 11-11-04, 12:43 PM
Ventilation

Chech out "Lomanco" on the web,
everything you ever wanted to know about ventilation.......

Old 11-11-04, 05:54 PM
J
Turtles & mushrooms are the same. If someone is suggesting turbines, there must not be anyintake vents.
Jim

Old 11-11-04, 07:58 PM
turtles

Ahhh, but if the turtles eat the mushrooms...the turtles will never be the same again....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: