Roof Ventilation

Old 11-17-04, 10:18 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 111
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof Ventilation

I have a chalet type house that I bought a few years ago and recently had a new roof put on. Unfortunately, after the new shingles were laid, I went into the loft and into the attic on the side of the hip wall and looked at the insulation. It was packed up against the roof boards and therefore no air can circulate. I have a ridge vent on top and vents on the side at the peak and in the soffits. I need to get airflow from the soffits to the peak becuase I believe that was the reason for my shingles curling up. The problem is that I can't slide anything between the insulation and the roof because of the nails coming through the plywood. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get airflow through this area without tearing the roof off again? I have about 4 feet of space in the side attic to work and have about 8 feet of insulation to separate from the plywood roof.
Old 11-17-04, 10:46 AM
majakdragon's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: N.E. Arkansas
Posts: 7,475
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
They make an airflow tunnel that you secure inside the roof and between the rafters that allows about a 1/2 " of room for air to go between the insulation and the roof boards. It is plastic. You could install these and just press the nails through it (not going to block that much flow).All it really does is hold the insulation away from the roof boards. Have seen them in the BigBox stores and on home remodeling TV shows. Good luck.
Old 11-17-04, 07:10 PM
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 275
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do you have vaulted ceilings or an attic? The insulation deflectors generally are installed by the framers prior to attaching the plywood. I don't know how you would ever get them into an existing rafter system without removing all of the drywall and insulation first.
Old 11-20-04, 01:27 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 17,505
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

What your after here is called foam rafter vents. Id work from the inside not the new roof. Could pay you to take the dry wall off in side there and save the new roof. Insulation cant touch the roof boards.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: