gutters and metal roofing

Old 11-26-04, 06:59 AM
momgo
Visiting Guest
gutters and metal roofing

Have metal roofing on home but I am wondering about the gutters. Is it a waste of time and money to put gutters on the eaves of a house or not with metal roofing? Live in Northern MN, where snow loads vary. Roof pitch on one part is 10/12 but on dormers it is 4/12. When the snow does go off the roof it has such a force sometimes I think it would take the gutters with it.

Old 11-26-04, 07:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gutters

Momgo,

I guess that all depends on your reason for wanting gutters. If the rainfall run-off is creating nice litttle trenches in your flowerbeds, or staining of the walls from splashing, then gutters willl help. But up-north you will also have to contend with the snow as you mentioned.

In that part of the country, in order to keep you gutters from getting damaged....you will also need to look into a heavier gauge of metal for the gutters, additional support for the gutters to carry the heavy snow/ice loads, de-icing cables to melt snow/ice build-up, and snow guards for the roof to keep the snow from sliding off in large sheets.
Also should think about screens for keeping the leaves and pine needles out.

So it's not just the gutters, but all the accessories that help keep them clean and functioning.

Good Luck!

Old 12-03-04, 11:09 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gutters and metal roofs

Since snow will slide off metal roofs, we recommend that the outside edge of the gutter be 1" below the slope line. That way, even if the gutters ice up, you have 1" of room before the ice buildup gets in the way of snow coming off the roof. Of course, we also often see that the fascia is not wide enough to allow this clearance, so IF the homeowner wants to intall gutters on a metal roof, then widening the fascia is part of the project.

Old 12-04-04, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

like said gutters sure help on a home a lot. We dont have that much snow. But on a home we put a 2X6 on the rafter tails . the use a 1x8 for the fascia board. This gives you some thing for the gutter to get nailed into. That 10/12 snow I think would go down into the gutter. Might look at www.chromalox.com they have heat cable you can put intp the gutter.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: