Water leak around fireplace and log box? HELP!

Old 11-29-04, 11:43 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 34
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water leak around fireplace and log box? HELP!

We bought a house in May and since then there were two occasions when the water leaked into the house. Both were during an extremely heavy rain (one was when hurricane Ivan went up the shore to PA).

On first occasion we were on vacation and when came back there was a small (8") crack in the family room ceiling. The spot was damp and the ceiling buckled in that area. That was right above the fireplace, about 10" from the wall.

The second time was yesterday, when we had very heavy rain all night and most of the morning. The ceiling was dry, but the water dripping into the log box that is built into the wall right next to the fireplace. The strange thing is that the fireplace itself is bone dry!

The outside fireplace structure is wide enough to include both the fireplace and the log box in it. The water in log box was seeping from above, between the metal plate near the front and the cinderblocks.

First I thought the wind is driving the water into the flue. But this would make the water enter the fireplace, which didn't happen. The log box looks completely sealed - brick all around, no opening to the top. How can the water enter it? I suspect this problem has something in common with the wet ceiling spot, which happens to be in the same area.

Any ideas? Who do I call - the chimney people, the roofers?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-29-04, 12:51 PM
shinstr's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Berkley Michigan
Posts: 227
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts


Your right on both counts...it could be the chimney flashing, or it could be the flue. If it is a brick/masonry chimney...rain entering the flue or masonry can transfer to the outside of the brick in the attic/wall space. Usually in the attic space the masonry work is sloppy(no one will see it).

Have a roofer inspect the chimney flashings, and the metal or masonry cap on the chimney. Most roofing companies ( not "two guys and a truck inc.")
Make chimney caps, if that ends up being the issue.

Good Luck!
Old 02-06-05, 11:53 AM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 255
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flashings. Look at the corners of the flashings {where water traverses around the backside corners}. Sometimes these are sloppily fabricated, leaving gaping holes which are then skinned over with gops of caulking {always opening up} Look at the counter flashings {those flashings which are fastened to the sidewalls of the chimney and run down OVER the roof flashings.} They may rely on caulking at the top edges to prevent water migration.
There are other possibilities, but these are the most common problem areas.
Old 02-06-05, 12:10 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 17,505
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Id start at the chimney so call cap. The cement top that is up there to seal it from rain getting in to the brick there.Like to put them on with an over hang so it has a drip edge like. Yes for sure check the flashing around the flue. But I think more a new cap also a metal rain top for over the tile. then a clear sealer to put on the brick on the whole chimney. The water can come down in the brick and get the ceiling and walls . Its from Hydrostatic Pressure, The water will work on down in the whole chimney.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: