basement leak

Old 12-05-04, 06:38 PM
LMTRAYN
Visiting Guest
basement leak

I just purchased a house and my basement leaks. When it rains hard, water pours into the basement from a basement window, This window was closed when the previous owner built an addition on the house. I cannot see the window from the outside of the house because the window is underneath the slab for the addition. I have tried to reseal the window from the inside, but to no avail. There are (4) cinder blocks where the window was and the water pours right in. There is another window on the same wall about (10) feet away that is sealed the same way but doesnot leak. Any suggestions or help.

Old 12-07-04, 11:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Slab

Let me make sure I have the mental picture right first....
There is an addition that has a slab-on-grade foundation abuting a basement exterior wall... and somewhere in the middle of this basement portion that is adjacent to the slab there is a window that has been bricked (blocked) in.

If that's the case, look at either side of the slab where it abuts the block basement walls. this may just be a cold joint. Meaning they simply butt-up to one-another. If so, rake the joint out, meaning to scrape to get all loose concrete, dirt, etc. out, and install a foam backer rod (sized 50% larger than the joint your trying to seal) and push it in the crack to a depth of 1/2 the width of the joint and seal with NP-1 sealant to close the joint.
(( example...a 1 inch wide joint takes a 1 1/2 inch foam rod set 1/2 inch inside the joint))

Two other places to look..

The grading of the ground around the entire slab...it should slope away from the addition for at least the first three feet.

Also look at the exterior walls where they tie in to one-another. Do they just butt up to each other or is there a trim piece covering the joint.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: