replace deck when re-shingling?

Old 12-11-04, 08:08 AM
roninfoo
Visiting Guest
Question replace deck when re-shingling?

My house was built in the 50's. The roof is ~24 squares and has a low pitch. ( I believe ~ 3 3/4" ). The underlying structure is quite sound 2x 12 redwood on 16" centers. The shingles however are in need of replacement. There are already 2 layers of shingles on the roof. I will obviously tear those 2 layers off but my question concerns the decking itself.

The roof decking is 1x6 pine planks. There is some rot on some of the planks closest to the roof edge. I was working under the assumption it would make the most sense to simply replace the rotten planks and leave the other 85-90% of the original decking in place. I was reading a few forums on line and some folks mentioned that removing their plank decking and replacing w/ plywood was a better option. I didn't see much in terms of an explanation as to why this was the case and wanted opinions on if it would be worth it to spend the extra money to replace the deck as well.

Thanks.

Old 12-11-04, 11:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say its more in just what you want to do and have the $$$$$ for. If you say just 10% has to be redid and you can find the 1x6 for it .Thats the way Id go. If water got the edge there did it have a good drip edge on it? Make sure you put one on.

ED

Old 12-12-04, 09:00 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck repairs

There is no reason at all to replace the entire roof decking.

Repairs can be made to the existing plank deck by cutting out bad sections between rafters.

Be careful to find and use dimensional lumber that will match the thickness of the original boards however.

The reason is that the milling of 1x6 planks today is actually slightly less than 3/4" where it was likely to be a full 1" in the 50s.

Using boards of unequal nominal dimension can transmit the difference thru the shingles.

The alternative option would be to leave the existing plank deck in place and simply sheath over it with 7/16" OSB plywood to provide a new and uniform surface for your new shingles.

Personally, I would simply repair the small bad sections bewteen rafters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: