Leaky Roof Mystery

Old 12-14-04, 12:40 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky Roof Mystery

Ok, the water spots in the kitchen are not from the adjacent skylight. Went up to the attic this weekend and saw the general area of the wetness. A whole area of plywood was soaked through, wet to the touch. But still, I can not see where the water is coming in from. It only seems to happen in HEAVY RAIN, so my opportunities for observation are limited. Up on the roof, I can see nothing out of the ordinary. Two questions:

1) What should I be looking for up there? Could it be the ridgevent? If so what would that look like?

2) We have had 5 or 6 heavy rainstorms since the new roof was put on (over the course of 6 months) Should I be worried about the integrity of the plywood if i get this fixed relatively soon?

Thoughts?

Old 12-14-04, 07:17 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Simple Diagnostics

Simplest way to diagnose the problem is to get you and an assistant and a hose.

With you in the attic and the assistant on the roof (and perhaps with walkie talkies or cell phones)...

Have your assistant begin to hose down the roof surface slowly and deliberatley starting at the bottom and working his way upward.

You, inside the attic, will observe and note when the water begins to infiltrate the roof.

Then take corrective measures.

Integrity of the roof sheathing should not be a problem for random intermittent even heavy rains.

But if this roof was done professionally you should be under warranty and have the installer correct it at no charge to you.

Old 12-15-04, 06:04 AM
K
thats the thing...i dont think the hose thing would do it. We're talking it only does it in HEAVY RAINS. I dunno...could perhaps try and simulate, but dont anticipate great results. Good to know about the integrity of the roof itself.

Should I be more worried about snow and ice?

Getting runaround from contractor. Original guy who did it (I'm suspecting unlicensed) is currently MIA. Guy who realtor got to take warranty responsibility is overly-eager to get this taken care of. He's been over a couple times but has not been able to see problem, has just done random patching and such. This has been ongoing for about 6 months.

Not sure what to do...just keeping pressure on realtor and contractor.

Old 12-17-04, 11:17 AM
K
In last rain storm I went to the attic and saw the area where it was wet. Measured it, told roofer where it was. He came over and looked at spot where I measured to from the outside (40 inches down from peak) and said there was NO WAY water could be coming in from that spot.....its all shingles and is correctly put together. He siad I need to find the leak before he can fix it.

Not sure what to do. Is it possible that the water is migrating from somewhere else not in the immediate vicinity of that spot I found in the attic? Is it possible that its coming from the ridgevent? If so, is there any acceptable expected amount of rain that can get into ridgevents during soaking rainstorms?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: