Seal vent pipes going through roof?

Old 12-14-04, 08:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Seal vent pipes going through roof?

Hi guys, I have NO idea how to do this, so please explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old...

Ok, I had a contractor put on a new roof. He did, looks good, he did a good job except that the vent pipes coming out through the roof were NOT sealed properly and are leaking. I'm pissed... He won't come over until "he has time" and that's all well and good, but I live in MA and winter's coming, well NOW.

So forget him...

They are 3" pipes coming through the asphalt shingles. One area of the roof has about a 30 degree slope, the other has about 45 degree.

How do I seal around these pipes so that it does not leak at all?

Baby terms, please... What do I buy at the Depot, and how do I install it?

Thanks!

Chris

Old 12-15-04, 04:45 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You didn't say if he stripped the whole roof or did a 2nd or 3rd layer.
There should have been flashings installed when the original roof was installed.These have a flange at the bottom that is about 12" square and are sealed to the roof before the roofing is installed. They then have a "cover pipe" that goes up above the vent pipe and is bent over the vent to keep water out. The flashing basically encases the vent pipe. They used to be made out of lead, not sure what they are now.

http://www.neverleakcompany.com/roof2rubber.htm

The above link will show you what they look like.
Not sure if you got a warranty so you may void it if you do any repairs. Think I would have to ask the roofer how much of your damages his insurance will cover.

Old 12-15-04, 06:09 AM
Thanks, Dragon.

I did talk to my contractor and tell him I was through with his stupidity, and that he should watch his inbox for a letter from my lawyer. I also told him that I would just do the work.

He panicked, and is coming today after all. Better do it right...

Chris

Old 12-15-04, 07:12 AM
hi
sound like he did not put the rubber flang over vent pipe.He need to install one ASAP.

cheers

pg

Old 12-15-04, 09:28 AM
pg,

Actually, they did put on a flange, just not properly, so it leaks. He's coming soon. That is, if he wants to live...

Chris

Old 12-18-04, 02:38 PM
Hi guys,

The contractor came yesterday and fixed the pipe that HE did. While he was up there, he also "fixed" the other pipe that was also leaking.

However, THAT pipe is still leaking. I have gone up on the roof several times to pour water around the seal to test. Wet and leaking every time.

The pipe is surrounded by a large rubber "gasket" and is covered substantially by a black, tar-like substance. I cannot see ANY way that water is getting in there! But it is!

Can anyone think of what might be wrong?

Chris

Old 12-18-04, 03:06 PM
Chris,
The vent boots (flange with rubber seals around the pipe) should always be replaced new whenever re-roofing.
If they're installed properly and still leaking, then it most likely is around the rubber seal.
Get some black plastic wet-dry roofing cement. This stuff is extremely sticky and can be applied to seal in a driving rain.
Wear old clothes and throw-away rubber gloves (you WILL get it on you...lol), and use a throw-away wood paint paddle, piece of yardstick or putty knife to smear the roofing cement around and over that rubber seal, overlapping up the pipe just a bit.
If that doesn't seal it, there is a leak under the flange. Pull back the shingles above and beside it, and seal the edges with that roofing cement.
THAT should do it.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 12-18-04, 03:49 PM
Thanks, will let ya'll know.

Chris

Old 12-18-04, 05:29 PM
Wink

I take it that the 3"pipe you have comeing up out of the roof are the vent stack for the plumbing. If you take and look around the other roofs they all have whats called a roof jack Any wholesale supply or home depot and lowes have them They go down ovewr the pipe and you weave the roof shingles under them and over the top of it if they are the lead ones you just bend the top over and into the pipe. You dont use any roof cement there at all. A guy that calls them self a roofer would know how to do this.

ED

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 12-18-04 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-20-04, 09:53 AM
Fixed...

I ended up putting on a piece of sheet metal above the pipe and tarring it to divert water. That has solved the problem. No more leak.

Thanks, fellas!

Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: