connecting deck roof to aluminum sided house

Old 12-17-04, 08:30 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
connecting deck roof to aluminum sided house

I want to put a roof aver my deck. I am going to connect the roof to the house out to the deck posts. Do I put the board against the siding or do I take off a panel to connect it to the house.

Old 12-17-04, 11:54 AM
J
I removed my Hardi-Plank Siding before I installed my ledger board. Check w/your local building dept. I used 5/8" through bolts, in a staggered pattern along the ledger board. Passed my local inspectors.
Jim

Old 12-17-04, 07:19 PM
B
Originally Posted by jmorgan1
I removed my Hardi-Plank Siding before I installed my ledger board. Check w/your local building dept. I used 5/8" through bolts, in a staggered pattern along the ledger board. Passed my local inspectors.
Jim
wwwwwwwwwwwww

Old 12-17-04, 07:36 PM
B
is that the best way to attach the ledger board? The floor of my deck is right thru the siding, but that was installed without the worry of water passing by it. i want the roof to serve it's entire purpose. I just want to know if it is better to pull the siding off for the board or does it even matter?

Old 12-18-04, 05:08 AM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's better to pull of the siding at and above the area the ledger board will be installed. This will allow a flat mating surface for the ledger board, eaay to see where the studs are for lagging it into place, PROPER flashing, and once it's all said and done you can finish it back off with the aluminum siding and no one will be the wiser you ever took it off.

Old 12-19-04, 05:26 AM
J
Use a strip of flexible flashing (like Grace Ice & Water Shield or Vycor Plus) to cover the ledger board and over onto the weather resistive barrier. You can then cover this with metal flashing.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: