Need to move section of gutter

Old 01-03-05, 11:28 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to move section of gutter

I have a gutter that butts up against a section of my home. I've been getting water inside a closet and it appears there's a large hole in the stucco behind the gutter where it butts against the wall. I need to move the gutter away from the fascia by about 6" so I can get back in there and repair it. The total section of gutter is about 12' and I don't want to pull the whole thing down. It is attached with spikes.

What is the best way to pull off the gutter enough -- maybe two spikes -- to get access to the hole? Will there be any diffciulty reattaching it?

Old 02-07-05, 06:39 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Since this gutter is only 12ft. long, I'd suggest you just remove it.
You can use a standard pry-bar and hammer. First check to see if there are any nails running through the back of the gutter. Many gutter guys hang the gutter first with nails, THEN support it with the spikes or other hangers. If it is nailed, then remove the spikes first by carefully positioning the pry-bar against the head of the spike. Tap it outward, away from the gutter. This will remove all but the most stubborn of spikes , which sometimes need to be cut with a hacksaw. Then remove the nails.
When rehanging the gutter, tack it in place with a few nails, making sure you angle the slope towards the downspout. Suggest you use hidden hangers, found at building supply house such as Home Depot, Lowes, other.
You might find hidden hangers which come complete with screws.
Two problems with spikes and farrels are: constantly working loose..........and the possibility of banging/denting the gutter.

Old 02-07-05, 07:31 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

With Dodge here : Take it all down if you have spike and ferrule. it works best if you take a bolt cutter and cut them in the gutter. Take it down and then work on the small tips still in the fascia board. After you are done and put the new gutter up. There by the wall slip a small metal step shingle under the second shingle and angle it away from the wall. So the water will have to like go over some to get into the gutter and not run down between the wall and gutter.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: