A quick question about a roof leak

Old 01-05-05, 05:15 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A quick question about a roof leak

Hi folks,

gotta quick question. I live on beautiful vancouver island in B C. the problem is that it's a rain forest and has been raining pretty much steady since Sept. Somewhere along the line my roof developed a leak. I called in a pro who came in and claims to have found the leak and patched it. There is still a small trickle of water (nothing like before)comming in from approx the same spot as before. When I talked to the roofer the next day he told me that the sheathing was probably saturated and would take awhile to dry out. Also we just got some cold weather and I had snow and ice on the roof and the leak stopped while the roof was frozen but the trickle started again as soon as the roof thawed. Is this guy just yanking my chain, or what, there is no benefit for him to give me a line since I planned to use the company to put on a new roof when the weather breaks and if he's jerking me around I'll find another roofing company. Anybody ever hear of this problem before.

Thanks in advance
F.O.G.

Old 01-06-05, 10:24 AM
hit or miss

Foggy,
Well 25 years and counting of leak-chasing, and I would gather that I will fix the problem first time, somewhere in the neighborhood of 95% to 98%. It is not an exact science. There is only experience, common sense and a process of elimination to guide you in the right direction.
I have moved leaks, just slown them down or even found two seperate problems with the run-off accumulating in the same place.

Sounds like he is looking in the right area, maybe just didn't do quite enough or their may have been two seperate issues. Not so certain about the saturated plywood statement. That condition should not last more than 48 hrs. Did he make the effort to come back out and look at it again or did he tell you that on the phone.
If the latter is true...find a different company to install the new roof. His ethics are questionable.

Good Luck

Old 01-06-05, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Like said some times a leak can drive you up a wall. Id say he found part of it just not all of it. On the plywood????it should just be wet for a time after he found the leakand stoped it/

ED

Old 01-07-05, 01:15 AM
F
Thanks guys,

Like I said it's been below zero for a couple of days here and there is no leak when it's freezing it seems to start when it warms up a bit. I went into the attic and the plywood is still saturated around the vent pipe where it was leaking before. So with any luck that will be the cause.

F.O.G.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: