Do I really need roof felt?

Old 01-05-05, 08:35 PM
MITCHELLR
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Do I really need roof felt?

Hey,
I'm just about done with my 10x10 shed. All I need to do is shingle the roof. My question is ...do I really need to lay felt down before shingling? Recently, I have checked out some quality built sheds and utility buildings at Lowe's and around. Guess what...NO felt, just shingles. Some of the buildings I've seen have been there for a year or so. No sign of leaks--even on the rainy day that I went. So what is the felt used for? If not for leaks, then what else? And like I mentioned...do I need it?

Mitchell

Old 01-06-05, 05:08 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, you do. The other sheds are done wrong. I believe that the mfr's instructions(on the back of the shingle bundles) will require at least a layer of 15#.
Jim

Old 01-06-05, 05:39 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Roofing felt is a waterproof barrier. It is not expensive so why take the chance of a leak to save a couple bucks? Good luck.

Old 01-06-05, 08:02 AM
MITCHELLR
Visiting Guest
Thanks, everybody.

Mitchell

Old 01-06-05, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
if you have a shed thats not heated
i would not put felt.

cheers

pg

Old 01-06-05, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MITCHELLR
I have checked out some quality built sheds and utility buildings at Lowe's and around. Guess what...NO felt, just shingles. Some of the buildings I've seen have been there for a year or so. No sign of leaks--even on the rainy day that I went.
Quality + Lowes + shed + prefab != good or quality products. They are the cheapest products which allows for the highest markup. Even a typical cheap 3tab roof should last up to 20years. So if its not leaking after a year or so, thats good news. Manufacturers all require tarpaper to be installed under the shingles for warranty. If those 'quality' shed builders cared about quality they would spend the extra $20-40 to tarpaper the roof.

Old 01-23-05, 06:36 PM
dennisjonescon.
Visiting Guest
don't fall for the misconception that felt is a waterproof barrier. with a nail hole every 12" horizontal and 5" vertical......felt would be the answer to all problems......felt is saturated with asphalt......and keeps the asphalt in shingles from absorbing into the roof decking when the sun heats it up. Therefore your roof will live out its warranty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: