How do I fix this leak in my roof?

Old 01-08-05, 03:02 PM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
How do I fix this leak in my roof?

Last year I had my roof stripped and reshingled. The outfit has now gone out of business.

The roof leaks at the dormers on both the front and back of the house. It seems to be at the joints where the pitched roof meets the dormer wall and leaks mostly when snow builds up and melts in this area.

One the weather is clear enough, what can I do to seal the joint where the shingles meet the dormers so the leaking stops?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Vic

Old 01-09-05, 03:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
flashing

Vic,
He more than likely did not put any new flashing in those areas.The only way to permanently fix it is to have new metal flashing installed.
Good Luck!

Old 01-09-05, 04:37 AM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
Thanks Shinstr.

He did put metal flsahing there, but, I thought it was odd that he used flashing that was pieces of L shaped galvanized metal instead of one single piece all along the wall. The roof shingles do butt up against wood siding and maybe that's why he used the sectional flashing because of the irregular surface.

Is it possible for me to do anything about this over the top of the shingles at this point, or does it have to be ripped out and done over again?

I was thinking about using caulking at this joint, because I will be installing new siding in the spring and the caulking will be hidden by the siding. Or can I use metal flashing and caulking then hide it with the new siding?

Vic

Old 01-25-05, 02:09 PM
MLP
Visiting Guest
Cool Same Problem!

I've been having the same exact problem with my dormer and leaking especially with snow. My contractor did the roofing job and siding 2 years ago. Roof has been leaking ever since. I've called at least 20 times, each time he says he'll fix it! Now he's out of business. You wouldn't happen to have had the same contractor, Dun Rite Roofing & Siding in NJ. If so, I would love to know if anyone knows how to contact or find them or if they've recently filed for bankruptcy. There needs to be some restitution for the damage.
I'm having other roofers come look at the problem end of this week. One over the phone suggested ripping the whole thing up and starting over. I think he's insane. The roof is only 2 years old, and it was a complete tear-off.
Anyone heard where Dun Rite has gone?

Old 01-26-05, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
looks to me that the valley is not well caulk.
check if the edge of the shingle thats are on the metal sheet are caulk.
some time ice gets under the shingle and leaks

I should have ice watershield install under the valley

cheers

pgtek

Old 01-26-05, 02:13 PM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
Thanks pgtek, I'll have to get up there and lay some caulking in that joint, but, you would think that the roofers would have known to do that.

Vic

Old 01-27-05, 05:40 AM
hi
there roofer and goofer

cheers

Old 01-27-05, 05:43 AM
hi
also check there should be some step flashing install under the wall flasing and the single but against the step flashing should be smear with black roofing cement

cheers

pg

Old 01-27-05, 05:25 PM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
Hi and thanks pg, can this step flashing be installed over top of the new shingles and buttered, both sides with roofing cement? I'm installing new siding on the dormers so I should be able to hide most of the mess.

Vic

Old 01-28-05, 04:30 AM
hi
Sorry no step flashing are install between the single
like a stair step. Each one overlap the other, preventing water to slip under the shingle and hit the wood under.
like you would start from the bottom shingle that is touching the dommer and place on step flashing on the roof and the top part on the dommer wall. Step flashing are shape like an L.
check this link to see how it done
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/imquaf...codemo_040.cfm

Good luck

pg

Old 01-30-05, 03:49 AM
texerino
Visiting Guest
We had the same problem. Leaky roof at the dormers. We had a new roof installed and it still leaked. After 3 or 4 return trips, they finally got the leak repaired. The final solution seemed to be lots and lots of caulking in the valleys on top of the flashing.

Old 02-06-05, 11:43 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Victorious1_1
Thanks Shinstr.

He did put metal flsahing there, but, I thought it was odd that he used flashing that was pieces of L shaped galvanized metal instead of one single piece all along the wall. The roof shingles do butt up against wood siding and maybe that's why he used the sectional flashing because of the irregular surface.

Is it possible for me to do anything about this over the top of the shingles at this point, or does it have to be ripped out and done over again?

I was thinking about using caulking at this joint, because I will be installing new siding in the spring and the caulking will be hidden by the siding. Or can I use metal flashing and caulking then hide it with the new siding?

Vic

Those would be step flashings. And they are what's needed against the wall rake. That's not to say they were installed correctly. There are several potential leaking areas on a dormer IF the roof was installed improperly. And it must have been installed improperly as you have a leak.
Call someone who specializes in FIXING leaks as well as everything else.
Fixing a leak, not just bandaiding it, usually requires some sort of partial roof/flashing removal of the specific area in question, then reinstalling new flashings and shingles in the correct manner. I'm NOT talking about "you need a roof dude". You should be able to have the specific area reworked by someone who knows what they're doing.
By the way, caulking may or may not work depending on the point of entry.

Old 02-07-05, 08:34 AM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
Thanks E. Dodge, you make some very good points that I hadn't considered. I'll look into your suggestions after the snow clears and they are able to get up on my roof and check it out.

Vic

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: