Gambrel Roof

Old 01-10-05, 06:22 PM
GWN
Visiting Guest
Gambrel Roof

I have a standard hip roof currently on my garage and I want to replace it with a gambrel roof. Is ther a certain ratio on the pitch. I plan on building the sides of the roof by building them like a wall section cut on the appropiate angle. Then put the ridge board and install top roof rafters. My questions are 1. what must be the pitch for the top rafters? 2. is there a standard degree or angle for the sides? 3. how to finish off the tails so I have a place to hang the gutters?

Old 01-10-05, 09:55 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How big is the gargage?
Attached or not?
Do you have help?...and alot of it

I personally don't think this is a do-it-yourself job, unless you have ALOT of experience, especially if the garage is attached.
I can answer your questions though, somewhat:
1. Depends on the pitch you choose.
2. Please explain what you mean. I have to assume you mean from left to right as you face the gable, because in the other plane it will be vertical(plumb). Again this angle depends on the pitch you choose.
3. After construction you will attach a board across the vertical faces of the rafter tails, giving nailing surface for guttering.

Post back answers to the above questions, and we'll talk more.

BTW...gable not gambrel...not making fun, just FYI

Old 01-11-05, 07:59 PM
C
Originally Posted by jproffer

BTW...gable not gambrel...not making fun, just FYI

Actually, I believe he *does* mean gambrel roof. My mother, who's maiden name was Gambrel taught me long ago that the name of the type of roof on most barns (and a lot of sheds) is gambrel.

www.hyperdictionary.com defines a gambrel roof as "a gable roof with two slopes on each side and the lower slope being steeper".

With that in mind, the questions GWN asked make more sense...

The "sides of the roof" GWN refers to is the steeper pitched lower portion of the roof. The top rafters GWN refers to is the less steep upper portion of the roof.

As far as answering the questions regarding the pitches used for a gambrel roof, I did a Google search and found one company that uses a 12/12 pitch for the lower portion, and a 6/12 pitch for the upper portion. However, I know that is not *the* standard, because I have seen gambrel roofs that were much less than 6/12 up top (for instance, my shed with a gambrel roof is more like 4/12 up top). I imagine the pitches used vary based on size of the structure and other variables.

Old 01-12-05, 04:37 PM
J
Wasn't even thinking about a barn.....sorry GWN, at any rate I seriously wasn't making fun (although now maybe YOU should of me ), since it IS in fact a gambrel roof , you'll have to look to other sources for info., this is a type of roof with which I do not have alot of experience. (OK actually ANY experience).

Deepest apologies for my misunderstanding

Old 01-13-05, 07:31 AM
J
The top deck pitch is only limited by the shingle mfr's 3:12 low slope limit. My barn is 12:12 on the lower and 4:12 on the upper.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: