replace or cover leaky cap on prefab chimney?

Old 01-21-05, 12:19 PM
tk67triumph
Visiting Guest
replace or cover leaky cap on prefab chimney?

I've got a leaky cap on my prefab chimney. I'm talking about the 3' X 6' galvanized flat cap that covers the entire top of the prefab chimney stack. The stack is framing covered by siding. This is the typical cheap, no-brick chimney that you see everywhere nowadays.

I have two quotes from two companies who are proposing very different approaches to the problem. The first proposes to remove and replace the entire cap with a new sheet metal cap, new collars, and new rain collars. The stainless steel version of the job would cost about $700. The second contractor proposes leaving the old galvanized sheet in place and covering it with a rubber material that has a 15 year guarantee. This job also includes rubber gaskets around the stacks and metal rain collars for the stacks. This job is about $350.

I like thinks done right, and I'm planning on staying in the house for a long time. Which way should I go? Cover what I have with this rubber product? Or put a new cover on top of the chimney stack? With the latter approach I still have to check/replace silicone caulking on the stacks every couple years.

Any advice?

Old 02-06-05, 12:01 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unless the company that proposes a complete new cap is going to solder every single seam/joint together , thereby creating a completely waterproof system, forget that one.
Most all steel caps seen these days are flimsy, rivited, caulked affairs posing the same potential problems you're describing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: