Anyone use roof De-icing equipment?

Old 01-24-05, 07:19 PM
davefromnj
Visiting Guest
Anyone use roof De-icing equipment?

Hello,

I'm new to home improvement, but not to large projects. I bought my current home in October of this year (2005.) This past weekend, 1/23/05, was a major storm for New Jersey.

My roof now has massive icicles all over it and drips water that freezes onto my front steps. Obviously the down sprouts and gutters are frozen solid.

My roof has soffit vents all around it. I'm assuming that heat is passing into the attic areas melting the snow and forming the ice. I have a split-level home, and the area I'm concerned about is at an eave between 2 levels (the family room and upper bedroom.)

Is filling in this area with insulation enough to stop my ice problem?

I recently came across a website for Delta-Therm de-icing equipment. They have applications for roof, sidewalk, or driveway. Has anyone ever used this stuff? does it work? How long does it last?

Would just filling in a lot more or using better insulation cure my problems?

Also, my budget right now is maybe $5,000. If I can wait till next season, I could set it for maybe $10,000. How much would this stuff cost? No sites list a price. I'm on a 50x100 lot. I would only need the deicing gear on the front (about 20ft wide) and the back (about 20ft wide.)

I'm pretty clueless on this.

Old 01-25-05, 05:02 AM
jv225
Visiting Guest
I would recommend adding more insulation and checking to make sure the soffit vents are not blocked.Also do you have a ridge vent on your house?If not it should be installed. Ridge vent works together with soffit vents.Those are the two problems that cause ice build up insufficient insulation and not enough/no ventilation.

Old 01-25-05, 05:04 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can buy "heat tape" at your local roofing materials distributors.
Jim

Old 01-25-05, 07:00 AM
davefromnj
Visiting Guest
Yes!

Yes!

I just looked up "heat tape" -- it is exactly what I'm talking about. While I have to insulate my roof anyway to help cut down on heating costs. I don't think it's going to be enough -- I have A TON of ice. I'll post a picture when I get home.

I think this heat tape stuff may be the way to go. Too bad I have to wait till the snow is melted and gone to install it...

Old 01-25-05, 07:52 AM
davefromnj
Visiting Guest
I just looked up "Heat Tape"

Thanks for the heat tape suggestion, it appears to be exactly what I need.

One thing I wanted to know though:

The people who sell heat tape recommend that you run the tape through the down sprout (makes sense to me)
the gutter (makes sense to me)
and on the lower part of the exterior of the roof itself to melt the snow (this one doesn't make sense to me.)

If I was to just the heat tape in the gutters and the down sprout, wouldn't that cover my icicle / dripping frozen water problem? Why bother to melt the snow on the roof?

Is this just the company trying to sell more heat tape or is there a good reason to put it on the roof itself instead of just on the gutters and down sprouts.

Thanks for your help

Old 01-25-05, 12:11 PM
Yo Joisey

The reasoning behind applying the heat tape on the roof is this. The warmth of the roof melts the snow and runs down over the shingles. When water runs over the soffit part, there is no warmth, so it freezes. Ice will start to form and create an ice dam(n). I just cleaned my roof in South Joisey and I had ice 5" thick and it went up the roof about 6 inches. If not cleaned off, the ice will start creeping up under the shingles and when it reaches warm air, it melts and leaks in the house.
The heat tape will stop the ice from forming that thick and will run down the gutters instead.

Old 01-25-05, 04:11 PM
davefromnj
Visiting Guest
thanks

Thanks for that clear answer. It really does make sense. I checked online and it doesn't seem to cost all that much so I'm gonna try it out.

Old 01-25-05, 06:12 PM
J
Try 2-3 roofing material distributors. They all stock different brands. Comes in various lengths. 15, 20, 30, 40 & 50. Also some have bulst and you use special fittings and make it up to your exact length. Figure out how much you need before you shop. Cable used on the roof will have to "zig-zag" to work. The instructions explain.
Jim

Old 01-28-05, 04:15 PM
J
Here is a photo of proper installation along a eave area.
JIm

http://community.webshots.com/album/211943282PyhNWH

Old 01-29-05, 01:47 PM
davefromnj
Visiting Guest
Jim

Jim, I traveled to Cleveland, Ohio a while ago (2001) on business. I saw simliar houses to yours on the last street which borders Lake Erie. Many had that sort of old-english thatched roof look.

Thanks for the pic's and advice!

Old 01-30-05, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

go check out the heat wire at Chromalox.com check on their Thermwire Melt and Safe-T-Melt They turn on by them selfs from how cold it is.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: