Roofing questions about my allegedly new roof.

Old 01-25-05, 09:02 AM
davefromnj
Visiting Guest
Roofing questions about my allegedly new roof.

Hello all,

When I bought my house I was told the roof was new, about 1 year old.

Here's a description.

The overhangs of the roof are roughly 24". They all have soffit vents. The attic is not insulated at all. I don't have a ridge vent. I have a large whole-house fan which is secured by gravity, yes it's standing on some wood planks stacked, near a slotted vent. No, I never turn the thing on. My home inspector suggested that I get a thermostatically controlled vent to allow the attic space to breath during the summer and prevent premature wear. I have developed an icicle problem as a result of heat escaping other floors into the attic and warming it.

What approach is best for this roof system to solve my icicle problem And prevent premature wear during the summer & winter.

1) fix the stupid setup for the whole house fan, add a ridge vent and insulate the attic ASAP.

2) fix the stupid setup for the whole house fan, add a thermo-statically controlled vent and insulate the attic ASAp.

3) fix the stupid setup for the whole house fan, just add insulation to the roof.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-05, 11:25 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
first i would insulate the attic with r 31 insulation
next do the attic ventilation.
you can purchase a good attic fan at your big orange box cheap

cheers

pgtek

Old 01-25-05, 02:57 PM
IHI
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
option 2 and make sure when you insulate your attic (cant believe it's not insulated??!!)) and be sure to get so it covers the entire attic area, but DOES NOT plug the area between the top plate and soffit since you ned incoming air.

Installing the thermostat will allow you to set it and forget it in the summer months.

You dont necessarily have to use ridge vent, just installing regular roof vents 1 per 600sq/ft of attic space will also help, dont rely solely on the attic fan. Use the stationary vents in addition to the attic fan.