Ice Dam Help!!!

Old 01-25-05, 02:15 PM
AndreaJ
Visiting Guest
Arrow Ice Dam Help!!!

We have a ranch in Wisconsin and we are suffering from a nasty Ice Dam. We have leakage and obvious spotting on our sealings and we have water that has come through electric sockets as well as light switches. We have raked the snow and have done as much as we can but the spots our getting graudually larger. We know we are in need of a new roof (previous owner hadn't replaced in 15 years). We need a quick fix-any suggestions?

Last edited by AndreaJ; 01-25-05 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-25-05, 02:38 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your only option is to get the built up ice/snow off the lower 4' of the roof since with the warm/cold cycles we're getting right now will only lead to more problems. We've had to use our propane burner handheld torch (I see homecenters are starting to seel them now) and start melting the snow ice off around the perimeter of the roof. Before you go to all that trouble, if you have'nt done it already, buy a roof rake and get all the snow off your roof that you can, then proceed to melt away the ice/snow build up. Dont hold the torch in one area too long since you dont want to start a fire, you just want to warm up the area to get the stuff melting and it does;nt take much. In colder times when we're roofing I'll take my dual burner torch and go over the entire roof warming up the shingles to try and get the tar to seal them together so there's less chance of shingles not sealing and getting blown off during the cold winter months, so far it's been working great as I have'nt had any call backs from roofs we've dont in 40* and colder temps.

REgardless, you have damage and will get more damage so wait until spring to call your insurance company so you can get a little help fixing everything this has/will be destroying. Be forewarned, the insurance company will say you like $1000 worth of damage, minus your deductible, and then minus for depriciation, we had the same problem yrs ago at our old house, had $1200 damage and got $400 to fix it LOL. Told them not to even bother turning in the claim, I was soo mad. Hopefully you have a better insurance company.

Old 01-25-05, 02:41 PM
AndreaJ
Visiting Guest
Thanks! We did rake most of the snow and do this regularly with the snow we've been getting. Last night we purchased "ICE VIPER". These are 2' long "socks" filled with a salt like melting material. This doesn't seem to help much since the spots in our ceiling are getting bigger and bigger. What about insulation? And any suggestions with that?

Old 01-25-05, 03:36 PM
IHI
Your insulation will be soaked, hopefully it's batt so you can just remove the soggy sections and replace it with new stuff. You will need to really feel around alot since the water will be leaking into the roof and running down rafters/trusses and deposit water in a wider area than you will think after first inspection. The fun stuff to get will be near the top plate depending on your roofs pitch. If it's low pitched it gets pretty tight towards the outside of the roofs edge... If it's blown in cellulose it's gonna be time consuming, but you should really remove the soaked stuff and replace it. As it sits the insulation acted like a sponge to a point soaking up the water entering the roof, but it's not designed to do this and it does'nt take much for it to go through the stuff and soak it's way into your ceiling material.

Drywall will hold upto pretty good to light soakings for the time being while most plaster ceilings will just get wet/water logged and start falling off in chunks-the way I lost my kitchen ceiling. Sooner you get the outside taken care of and attic/insulation taken care of the less actual ceiling damage you'll get. Kilz has worked pretty well on smaller water stained areas, but we've also been called in when thearea was too large and just cut out sections of ceiling and reinstalled new drywall/insulation when it's done.

Should also add, later this spring contacting a roofer to properly install ice barrier if you have none in place currently. The year our area was flooded with ice dams, that springs we did ALOT of stripping the bottom courses necessary to install ice barrier and reshingling.

Old 01-25-05, 03:44 PM
AndreaJ
Visiting Guest
We've been through the attic and haven't been able to detect any obvious leaks, however it is blown insulation and its a disaster up there. There is also a crack in our ceiling that WAS there previous to this incident thats getting bigger. This sucks but I have a bad feeling if we keep trying to fix it ourselves (boyfried is a carpenter) it's going to get worse.

Old 01-25-05, 03:56 PM
IHI
LMAO!!! Speaking from experience as a carpenter myself....your the boss since your the woman, hire somebody to fix it!! This will ensure it gets fixed promptly and fixed right LOL!! My wife gets soo mad at me, not so much with our new house, but our old fix'er up I'd start one project, move onto another one mid stream, etc...nothing got done until we got ready to sell the place, then I was aholes and elbows!! Everybody laughs at me cuz I paid to have my roof done with one of my roofing subs. I just cant get the ambition to work on my own place after doing this for 12+hrs a day!!

Old 01-25-05, 04:07 PM
AndreaJ
Visiting Guest
My GOD you guys are all alike lol. He is a rough and finish by trade, but when he gets home he's an Electrician, Plumber, Landscaper, Roofer, Drywaller, Flooring Installer ---YOU NAME IT!!!! There is some kind of unwritten rule for you guys not to give up isn't there? It shows some sort of defeat in you own trade lol. He will be out there until 3am if he has to chop every stinking piece of ice off of the roof no matter how big the freakin' stains in my ceiling are. If the ice is gone-it's fixed right? NOT....just wish he would throw in the towel and call one of his contractor buddys...but NOOOOOOOO! lol

Old 01-25-05, 04:23 PM
IHI
Mechanic who's cars dont run or dont run right, shoemaker who's kids dont have shoes, plumber who's pipes leak...you name it it's just the nature of the beast LOL

That's the nice thing, I can do about anything I want to do and have the tools to do it, BUT it's a heck of alot easier using the guys I know and horse trading out work since there's times they call me for this or that. "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" type deal.

He sounds like I used to be, I hate bothering others for stuff I know I can do, but after awhile he'll start utilizing thehelp that's around him as I'm sure he gets asked from many to help them with stuff. It'll just take awhile to figure out which guys are the one way type-you help them, but they never have time to help you.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-05, 07:21 PM
J
I use a 15# maul and salt to get the ice dams off or heat tape, or both. Hit the ice with the flat side of the maul every foot or two, spread salt around. With any luck you have made some cracks in the ice for the brine to go into. By morning, it should break apart. Draping heat tape up & down along the ice dam and letting it melt through, break off with maul. Use Ice & Water Shield when you repair in Spring
Some ideas,
Jim

Old 01-26-05, 10:13 PM
H
Socks/Stockings filled with Ice melt

To alleviate the immediate ice dam problem, fill old socks or stockings with ice melt or rock salt, then throw it onto the roof just above the gutter level in several locations.

You can get the sock/stockings up there by tying a rope or twine to the sock and just hoisting it up.

The salt will melt thru the ice dam allowing backed up water to flow thru.

Old 02-01-05, 03:47 PM
fitzh2o
Visiting Guest
Do Not Call The Insurance Company!

I read a reply that suggested that you turn this in to your insurance company. I would definitely think twice before doing that. It sounds like you bought the home knowing it needed a new roof. Suck it up and just fix the roof. If you even call the insurance company and inquire, they will put this into their system and you could have your homeowner rates dramatically increased or even have your insurance canceled. The insurance industry now keeps a national computer database and a harmless inquiry can get you added to that system. I know of people this has happened to and there have been many articles lately on this in such magazines as Readers Digest. If the insurance company knows there is water infiltration into the home, they will think "Toxic Mold" and will not want to insure the home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: