ridge vent lift

Old 01-26-05, 06:54 AM
golconda7
Visiting Guest
ridge vent lift

recently had addition added to house. used cobra continuous rolled ridge vent. during recent NorthEaster 5-6 ridge shingles came off. Have to assume this was due to shingling in cold weather w/o warm weather seal of adhesive on shingles. is there an adhesive that could be used in the cold weather to prevent this from happening again?

Old 01-26-05, 09:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
blow-off

First question would be... Did you remember to use longer (2" or better) roofing nails at the "shingle over ridge vent"?

If so, and the blow off was strictly due to the shingles not having a chance to seal yet, then yes!

You can purchase tubes of asphalt cement, and install two quarter sized dabs under each tab to assist in adhesion until summer comes.

Good Luck

Old 01-26-05, 11:13 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
roof leak

Had a new roof put on back in july of 2004. It was a city grant so the work was closely monitored and such. It was a complete tear off, new shingles, ice shield, ridge vent, new gutters and siding. Now that it is winter here in New York, the gutters are filled with ice and icicles, and now that it is a warm day the picture window in the living room is leaking quite badly ( never did before). it is the only window along the front of the house so nothing else is leaking. I am wondering what would cause this. We have a call ijn to the contractor but I want to get some insight on this. One note: I noticed when I was cleaning the gutters about 2 months ago, before the snow, the contractors never cut the shingles back on this side of the house. The shingles are over the top of the gutter by about 3", therefore there is about 2" of gutter exposed. to clean it I had to use a 1" wide paint stir stick because you cannot get your hand in there. I am wondering if this would cause this.

Last edited by jcraft; 01-26-05 at 11:14 AM. Reason: wrong title
Old 01-28-05, 05:02 AM
golconda7
Visiting Guest
ridge vent lift

not sure of the 2" nails. the nails are still in the house the shingle ripped out leaving 2-holes where the nails were. think the issue is cold weather roofing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: