window leak due to excessive snow

Old 01-27-05, 01:09 PM
bob_spiegel
Visiting Guest
window leak due to excessive snow

We have received over 45" of snow the last 4 days here in Mass.

I have a leak in my dormer window on the 1st floor of my salt box colonial. The water started dripping thru the finish nail holes on the upper molding. The dormer window has its only little roof outside on the side of my house where there has been both snow and ice (icicle) build up. To make matters worse, I have a sky window directly above the problem window on the roof. I am not sure where the water is coming in from?????

I plan to rake the roof and add some additional insulation in my attic. The vents in the attic seem clear. Should I be looking for something else? Is there anything else I can do?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-05, 04:38 PM
IHI
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No problem with your window, it's all coming from your roof and ice daming. Check out some of the ice dam question threads for some solutions to get rid of the ice since it will only get worse if you dont address it immediately.

Old 01-27-05, 04:40 PM
I don't understand. A dormer on the first floor? How about a photo? If water is coming in at the top of the window, most likely the leak is not in that window, but somewhere above it. Most window flashing problems are at the sill of the window, not the top.
Jim

Old 01-27-05, 05:13 PM
bob_spiegel
Visiting Guest
thanks for the replies

maybe it is not actually a dormer but it is a window that sticks out from the side of my house and has its own little roof over it

upon further analysis, i have some major ice daming issues....i need to figure out how to get rid of the big ice chunk that runs the entire length of my gutter to the bottom of the roof

Old 01-28-05, 06:57 AM
Sounds like a bay window. They are notorious for leaking at the top. Almost always due to improper flashing of the shed/wall junction.

You can't permanently repair the ice dam problem until the snow melts in the Spring. Shovel/heat tape until then. Ice dam membranes don't stop the ice from forming, but do keep the water out. Requires tear-off of existing shingles in the affected areas to install. A well laid-out heat tape system will also work, but doesn't look good with exposed wires along your eaves. Increasing your insulation amount and increasing ventillation will reduce the ice buildup.
Jim