Snow Slides from metal roof

Old 01-30-05, 07:13 AM
Jean-Marie
Visiting Guest
Snow Slides from metal roof

Last nite, I had a snow slide off of my metal roof which took the eavestrough with it and wrenched the gas meter off of the house. Dangerous I know!! I know now to put the slide guards on the roof (something not done on installation) BUT is there a trick to installing the eavestrough for metal roofing. This winter, with about 3 feet of snow and some thaws, the eavestroughs are full of ice. That weight, plus the slide, was what did the damage.

Old 01-30-05, 07:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Jean-Marie, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Most eavestroughs are secured to the wood under the metal roof. Long nail type fasteners are used that have a sleeve to keep from crushing the metal when driving them in. The use of heat tape would prevent the ice from causing the problem you had. Also the slope towards the downspout has to be enough to make water drain properly. Watch this post for more info on your problem. Good luck.

Old 01-30-05, 08:17 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For snow retaining systems for metal roofing... www.trasnowbrackets.com
I agree w/majakdragon...heat tape in the gutters/downspouts.
Jim

Old 01-30-05, 08:29 AM
Jean-Marie
Visiting Guest
Central Canada and Heat tape

Only one problem with heat tape in the eavestrough. This is central Canada. Our coldest temp so far this winter has been -42 C. Average temp range late Dec. thru mid Feb. -10C to -30C. Don't know, with brief thaws in between, how effective heat tape would be.

Old 01-30-05, 12:31 PM
Wink

Check on the new screw on gutter hanger. They will hold up the gutter better than the old spike and ferrule do.
Check out the www.for chromalox they have all kinds of heat wire for snow and ice check out the Thermwire Melt

ED

Old 01-30-05, 05:45 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Our area is around 0-10F every nite, with spells to -20F. The heat cable will work OK.
Jim

Old 01-31-05, 05:17 AM
hi
install ice guard on the roof edge
there cheap

cheers

pg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: