No felt under 5 yr old asphalt shingles

Old 01-31-05, 02:23 PM
DebinNC
Visiting Guest
No felt under 5 yr old asphalt shingles

I am buying a house and the inspector pointed out that there is no roofing felt underlayment under the asphalt 5 yr old shingles. I am worried that this roof will be nothing but problems. They have to repair around vents since there is evidence of current leaking and entry sites. They are trying to say that they won't do anything about the lack of roofing felt since they said it wasn't a building code requirement 5 yrs ago. I am wondering about shingle manufacturer requirements. What would you suggest? Thanks a lot, Deb

Old 01-31-05, 02:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

All I can say have put a lot of shingles on with out felt and it works ok. Code down here now calls for 30lb felt now . Ring nail 12" on center.

ED

Old 01-31-05, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Once the shingles are on, especially after this long, no felt will not be much of a problem. Any problems would have been noticed by now.

Just keep an eye on the shingles for deterioration. If they deteriorate, then there is a little less protection underneath, but as long as the shingles are good, you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 01-31-05, 09:00 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That's just it, technically speaking, if the roofing is done correctly in the first place, there really is no need at all for felt paper. But if they're fixing problems already and the roof is only 5yrs old, I too might be a little worried!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: