Can aluminum soffits cause rain damage?

Old 02-01-05, 09:13 PM
JanG
Visiting Guest
Can aluminum soffits cause rain damage?

After the destructive hurricanes in Florida last year, our newspaper came out with warnings about hurricane winds blowing rain up through aluminum soffits into attics. Those in the know suggest some kind of buffer between the soffit area and the attic proper. I'm having aluminum soffits retrofited onto my 1940's house. It has wooden rafters which protrude 18 inches beyond the house wall. Some repair work was done, and so my contractor says aluminum soffits will cover the repair work and also bring air into the attic. We will be cutting holes in the wooden sheathing into the attic for the air flow.

How can this be done without exposing my attic to rain? JanG

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-05, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
JanG, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
This is one of those "Catch 22" things. You need the air in the attic for ventilation but have to worry about rain blowing in. I am not sure why they specified Aluminum soffit covers. Most made now a days ARE aluminum. I have seen them with little holes and with louvered slots. I would think that the slotted ones would be more protective in your situation since even rain blowing upward would not enter the soffit. Good luck.

Old 02-03-05, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soffits

If the soffit surface is 6inches or lower compared to the header board, it is highly unlikely that the wind pressure will be sufficient to push the water up 6 inches of wall. If the header board is level with the soffits, then it is easy. Of course, whether you have room to drop the soffits lower depends on the slope of the roof, the amount of fascia you have, and the type of trim you have on the wall.