Roofs

Old 02-11-05, 08:41 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Roofs

We are currently have plans made up for an extension to our house (Kitchen & spare room) and are unsure whether to go for a flat roof or a tiled roof. Which is the preferred option i.e longer lasting?

Old 02-11-05, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
A tile roof will last longer and have less maintenance. You have several options with a flat roof, and depending on the company that installs itand the climate you are in, it can last for years, or be a perpetual headache.

Single ply membranes (like a rubber roof) typically last 10 years or so before you need maintenance. What happens is the rubber will shrink, creating tears at seams, or at the termination strip around your roof perimeter.

Depending on the design, a properly installed hot-mop roof (another type of flat roof system) will last 15-25 years. Both these designs call for rock aggregate over the top.

Personally, I'd go with the tile roof, but it also depends on how the addition will look. Try to picture them both. Have the artist in your family make some drawings. Asthetics is just as important as function.

Old 02-16-05, 03:01 AM
K
If there are (or will be) trees overhanging the roof then flat will require lots of maintainance. Personally, I would never design for a flat roof. The only flat roof I'm comfortable with was a headache I *solved* by laying an extra thick shell of fibreglass on. All the neighbours have tar & gravel duck ponds on their houses.

Old 02-16-05, 07:03 AM
M
Arrow Tiled roof

Thank you for both of your informative responses. We live in the U.K and therefore, quite a cold climate.

I noticed that our neighbours have a flat roof above their garage and about every few years this has to be renewed/replaced.

I think the only additional thing to worry about with a tiled roof is the drainage?

Last edited by M.Joshi; 02-17-05 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-16-05, 07:54 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

What ever you go with. Dont use a flat roof for it. Been there done that

Code here for a tile roof with a pitch is 30 lb felt ring nailed 12" on center. Then hot mop 90 paper then the tile.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: