shingle repair

Old 02-12-05, 02:58 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shingle repair

I have a couple of asphalt shingles that have blown off of my cape cod style home. My question is, because of the slope of the roof, what is the safest way that I can climb up there to repair them without killing myself in the process? Unfortunately, I won't be able to reach them from my ladder. I hate to hire a contractor for such a small job, & the chances are probably slim to none of getting one here to do such a small job in the middle of winter. I need to get this done as soon as possible before I lose more shingles. Can i nail a 2x4 to the roof or will doing so cause a leak? Help!

Old 02-12-05, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
First, your safety is of primary importance. Whatever you do, be sure it conforms to OSHA's guidelines for safe working conditions.

Some of the ideas at http://www.classicroof.com/architect...%20Roofs53.htm might help you. Perhaps explaining your needs to a local rental store would help. They will set you up with something that will work.

You certainly "could" nail some toe boards to the roof and get up there to do your work, but whether you want to pierce your roofing material with nails, which would then need to be filled is rather questionable. If your roof will need replacement anyway in a few years, then maybe that's the easiest thing to do. But be sure every nail hole gets filled with roof tar. And be sure your nails go into something substantial. They are the only thing that stand between you and the ground below. It's not the fall, it's the landing that hurts.

Old 02-23-05, 06:47 PM
M
cape cod

If the roof is steep enough (most cape cods are) you could rent or buy an

extension ladder tall enough to lay directly onto the roof surface and just

stay on the ladder to fix the shingle. I would consider buying such a ladder

in your case, as ladders that long are hard to transport from rental centers

when needed. If you buy it, you only have to figure a way to transport it

once and you wouldn't have to use it too many times to save money

compared to what roofers charge. When your neighbors see it, they'll want

to borrow it. Keep it on a short leash. On the other hand, you'll need their

help to set a ladder like that in place, maybe a little neighborly generosity

would be a good plan.

Old 02-24-05, 04:10 AM
E
A word of warning about using that taller ladder, laid fully against the roof pitch.....

When/if a ladder is angled outward to much, there is a risk of the legs kicking out on you. If there's a chance it might happen, it generally starts to become aparent just as you're reaching the higher rungs. When setting a ladder at the proper safe angle, if in doubt, look at the side rails where each rung is visible. The rung tread surface should be level. The more the rung tread surfaces angle down, the greater the risk of it kicking out as your on it. Most ladders will have a sticker on the side rail showing this.

This isn't some empty reccomendation based on: "cause it'd just what you're supposed to do".........
This is experience with ladders kicking out, and having them start to slide down while having the "junk" scared out of me.
If you want to do this ladder trick, bungee the ladder to the gutter, and have someone step against the foot of the ladder . This will prevent it from kicking out.

Old 02-24-05, 06:18 AM
M
Your local home center should carry what I've always referred to as "ladder jacks". It's basically a wood, plastic, or metal triangle with a narrow nailing flange. Some are adjustable for pitch, I have a 8/12 set for my roof.

You lift up a shingle and nail it in--all the way to a rafter. If you don't feel the nail going into a rafter, well, you could trust the sheating to support your weight (I have, briefly), but nobody on this site would recommend it. Old 1x6 yellow pine is pretty strong, provided it hasn't rotted out.

After you get two of these jacks up, lay a few 2x4's on them and you have a nice little platform to work from. Set up enough of them so you can step from the ladder onto your first platform, and can move up and down the roof by keeping at least one hand or foot on a 2x4 or ladder jack at all times.

The jacks I've used let you slide the thing out without having to remove the nail. Then you drive in the nail and let the shingle cover it up.

Your local code may only require 4 nails per 3 tab shingle, you may want to use 6 nails (2 per tab) to keep 'em from blowing off again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: