Zinc strips for controlling mold

Old 02-13-05, 03:27 PM
manu
Visiting Guest
Zinc strips for controlling mold

Are zinc strips really that effective in preventing mold on shingled roofs?
How should they be fastened to the roof? I noticed that the strips are only about 5" wide. Should they be fastened with the same nail fastening a shingle (I assume that a zinc nail would have to be used for that course of shingles)?
Any environmental issues associated with zinc strips?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-05, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 287 Votes on 262 Posts
Suprisingly, the answer is yes. If you have ever seen houses with white asphalt roofs, areas below roof can vents and vent pipe flashings (often zinc galvanized) will be white, while surrounding areas appear dingy.

Rain water that comes into contact with zinc produces a slight electrolysis effect, where zinc becomes ionized. The chemical reaction between the zinc and the rainwater makes the surface more resistant to mold and algae growth. Just look at houses you drive past, and look for clean streaks on the roof. The source is always a zinc galzanized flashing. It really works!

Don't expect installing zinc strips to clean a roof that is already soiled, and don't expect them to keep your roof 100% brilliant white. But it does help, and often looks a lot better than having a few clean streaks alone. (which is what most houses in my area have).

Sample instructions can be found at: http://www.z-stop.com/howto.htm The nails they suggest to use are roofing nails with neoprene washers. (to prevent leakage around the nails)

Last edited by XSleeper; 02-13-05 at 03:44 PM. Reason: addition