Ice dam above bay window

Old 02-15-05, 09:54 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ice dam above bay window

Hi,

I noticed a brown spot (water stain) on the ceiling just inside the bay window in our dining room, and there is a line of water stain running away from the window along a drywall tape line as well. I was told this was most likely from an ice dam.

What I'm wondering is what can I do to prevent this from happening again. There is a shingle roof above the bay window with a slight slope. Can I have someone put some extra flashing up there, or have a different kind of roof put up (like those copper roofs)?

Would a roofing company take care of this?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-05, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If the company that installed the window won't come out, (or you don't know who installed it) then yes, I'd call a roofing company. Be sure you show them the inside damage so they can be aware of that when they tear the roof apart and fix it. If it was me, I'd totally tear the bay window roof down, and look for water damage inside, before reflashing and reroofing it. The problem ought to be FIXED, not patched.

Old 02-15-05, 11:30 AM
S
Thank you for the reply! So you think there is a problem with the roof/flashing? I've heard that ice dams just happen and there's not much you can do about them (other than make sure the snow is removed from the roof either yourself or via those electrical wire contraptions).

Old 02-15-05, 11:56 AM
E
If ice/water is creeping up under the shingles, make sure the entire area is covered with an "ice&water" membrane prior to installing the final roof coverings{shingles}.
But even before laying down the membrane, it would be a good idea to have an extra-wide edge flashing {like 6in. on the roof} installed. Then the membrane can stick to it.
Basically, you roof the whole area with memrane and flashing before shingling,, step flashings, wall flashings, etc.

The ice will still form but should not cause any leaks related to the roofing.

Old 02-15-05, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I was just thinking... an additional problem area on those roofs is the way the sidiing is cut out around the ends of the roof. If it is not flashed and sealed properly, water could be entering there as well. (good place for a kick out flashing.)

The self-sealing membrane is a great idea as well. Ideal for small roofs like that, when it is adhered directly to the sheeting, not on top of any flashings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: