flashing around electrical conduit

Old 02-15-05, 04:53 PM
manu
Visiting Guest
flashing around electrical conduit

All I find in the local HW stores are rubber vent pipe flashing that slip over open ended pipes/vents. I obviously can't use these rubber boot flashings over a pipe that feeds A/C lines into the house (I won't attempt to pull the power lines out;-).
What is the best way to seal the bottom of such pipe?

Old 02-15-05, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,972 Upvotes on 1,769 Posts
Best way? call an electrician so he can pull the lines and you can install the proper rubber boot flashing.

Old 02-16-05, 01:22 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That's the best way.

If not, you could use lead or copper instead of rubber, split it and then use a soldering iron (or careful with that torch) to join again.

Old 02-16-05, 04:59 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
there an other way
If you have access to burlap
cut a strip about 2 feet.
take some roofing cement and smear it around the bottom on the pipe
then wrap the burlap around the pipe in push it in the cement
them applied more roofing cement over it to cover it up.
hope this helps

pg

Old 02-17-05, 03:58 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You could take sheet metal. Cut it into 2 pieces about 10in. square. Then notch out each piece on one side so that the bottom one rises up around and past the line. Then install the other one from the top down over and around the line, overlapping the first piece 4in. or more. Take the time to make a tight fit around the line . Then cement or polyurethane sealant around the line. If it's a tight fit, and the metal is clean and dry, you should have something that has the potential to last {stay sealed} for quite a number of years. Naturally the metal needs to be tied-in with the surrounding shingles just as pipe jacks would. I've done this a number of times in instances where replacing or installing a jack was out of the question and it does work.....not as well as a regular jack{it needs to be checked every few years} but it served the purpose without calling in electricians or plumbers, etc.
The purpose of the metal, besides partial flashing, is provide a solid stable surface onto which you can create a rise with "boot"...made out of goop.
But if you have the money , disconnecting the line in order to install a jack would be better....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: