Need advice with rain/snow drainage

Old 02-21-05, 02:06 AM
xmas16
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Need advice with rain/snow drainage

Can anyone offer a tip on this dilemma. Moved into new house, the property slopes down to the home and also the asphalt driveway leads down to the garage. I'm new to the area (Maine) and am shocked by how many homes do not have gutters, including mine. During heavy rain and snow melts, a small pond builds up at my garage doors. I know I can make a dent in some drainage by at least starting to have gutters installed. The first area for that would be over the garage. But it will not eliminate the water running down the driveway. What can/should I do. #1 Do the gutter first and see if that's all I need, or # 2 also look into installing some type of drainage system where I guess the ashphalt will have to be cut up for this to happen. Is this a project for a do it yourselfer? Thanks for the help

Old 02-21-05, 05:06 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
first check and see where the water could be drain to.
then you might need to create a dry river bed to let water travel to drainage section or you could dig a trench and place a drainage pipe in it and have your gutter drain in it.
Ask your gutter installer where it should drain to.

cheers

pg

Old 02-21-05, 12:15 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The more snow & ice in an area, the less likely you will find gutters. The ice and snow damages them when sliding off. They also help ice dams get started. Only use them where absolutely needed if you have heavy snowpack.
Jim

Old 02-21-05, 12:35 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Check Home depot and Lowes. Both have A drain that yes you can just cut the ashphalt and slip it down in. Across the front of the garage door there and pipe it around the home. Id do this first before gutters. Yes its a DIY for sure. Id rent the saw to cut the ashphalt. Dont cost much. Just had to rent one to go into the cement around my pool. Check out Chromalox they have a wire for the gutters caled Thermwire Melt and Safe-T-Melt for gutters and roof edge.

ED

Old 02-21-05, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the water is running down the driveway from the road, you can also put a blacktop speedbump where your driveway meets the road to force the water to go past your driveway. Then you will only get what melts/rains onto the actual driveway running down to the garage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: