bituthane (sp?) and underlayment

Old 02-23-05, 05:21 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bituthane (sp?) and underlayment

Im in the process of building my own house. Unfortunately, my full time job is getting in the way of my progress. I currently have about 25% of the roof framed and sheathed. I have covered that with Grace Tri-flex 30 underlayment. According to the specifications, it is UV stable for up to 6 months. This allows me to get part of the house waterproofed so that I can continue framing. It could be a good month or two before I finish framing and am ready to shingle. After completely covering the roof with underlayment, I relized I didnt use any bituthane (ice and water shield). Does that usually go over the sheathing or can it be laid on top of the underlayment?

Old 02-23-05, 12:02 PM
E
The manufacturer's tell you to stick it to the wood. There's a guy who posts here who's a rep for Grace by the way....

I've stuck membranes to other underlayments on occasion due to different reasons. But you should probably just cut back the underlaymemnt you used...when the time comes, and stick the ice&water to the wood. Make sure you run the underlayment down over the ice&water several inches.

Old 02-23-05, 06:47 PM
J
E.Dodge is right. Later you will have to cut back the TriFlex 30 in all of the areas you are going to use Grace Ice & Water Shield, leaving enough TriFlex 30 to get at least a 4" lap onto the new Grace Ice & Water Shield and nail off on 8" centers. Grace Ice & Water Shield can be left exposed longer than literature says as long as it is cold....almost indefinately when under snowpack. Watch for edge-curling of the plastic top surface as an indicator that it is time to get it covered.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: