Roof Valleys -- Inspector Repair Note

Old 02-24-05, 03:36 PM
mitch77
Visiting Guest
Roof Valleys -- Inspector Repair Note

We are trying to sell a home and the contracted buyers had their own roofing company do the roof inspection. One repair item was: "All seven valleys have points in them that need to be removed." (Single layer roof that is approximately 5 years old.) We have asked our roofer, along with others, and no one can tell us what points in the valleys are. Anyone know?

Old 02-24-05, 04:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
25 years and counting in the roofing buisness...and I have no idea what "points in the valley" are. All I can think of is the corner of a shingle sticking into the valley trough area that could entrap debris.....Guessing....

Get them to clarify.

Old 02-24-05, 05:51 PM
E
I think they might mean "locations" or "specific areas".
But even at that it sounds like the typical generality some home inspectors use because they don't really know what they're looking at.

Old 02-24-05, 06:07 PM
J
The inspector was a roofing contractor. I also am not sure what points are. I like Shinstr's idea.....it's all I can think of.
Jim

Old 02-24-05, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
"Points in the valley" refers to the common roofing practice of chalking a line down the valley and cutting all the shingles that overlap the valley at once. It means that every shingle up the valley has a "long point" and a "short point". Theoretically, it's said that these long points will catch water, which could then run under the shingles horizontally.

According to people who believe in this school of thought, these "points" in the valley would need to be trimmed back at an angle so that the leading edge of the "point" is not the first thing water would catch as it runs by.

I'll omit my opinion of this practice, although in theory, it sounds good.

Old 02-26-05, 05:13 AM
E
I wouldn't know about the common practice of cuitting all the shingles at once. I think it's a sloppy way of doing it. Always have.

Old 02-26-05, 05:34 AM
E
Sorry for the 2nd reply in a row.........but I have to say that although I haven't the slightest idea who the roofing contractor is {but I should have read it more closely no doubt!}, and am in absolutely no position to comment on them or their opinion,
my opinion of the roofing industry in general is as low if not lower than most homeowners. And again, if a homeowner wants 10 totally different opinions of their roof, just call 10 roofers out.

Not picking on roofers here, the whole construction industry is sick, in my opinion.

Old 02-26-05, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

buyers had their own roofing company do the roof inspection. One repair item was: "All seven valleys have points in them that need to be removed." (Single layer roof that is approximately 5 years old.)
I think that their roofing company is working for a job to do. I have never hear about points . We use a storm valley or call a W valley and the out side edge is broke back 180o on each side so I dont see any water run over under the shingles

just My .02 cents

ED

Old 02-26-05, 03:58 PM
mitch77
Visiting Guest
Points in the Valley

Thank you all for your opinions! It is the general opinion in this city as well as with your replys that roofer is looking for work! Thanks again!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: