bumps on new roof

Old 02-24-05, 06:05 PM
manu
Visiting Guest
bumps on new roof

I'm nearly complete laying new shingles on my roof. I stripped it of the old shingles and underlayment. The new roof seems to have bumps here and there not assoiated with the underlying 1x10. I tried to lay the new underlayment as flat as possible, but still saw some bump on it the next day. I Figured that the new shingles would weigh the underlayment down, which it did to some degree. But bumps are still noticeable in some spots. Will the new shingles and underlayment settle over time? I'm in Florida, and the temps have been in 70s when I layed the new roof so I can't blame wide temperature changes for these bumps.

Old 02-24-05, 06:48 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Buckels in the felt can be due to moisture in the felt itself to begin with, humdity in the morning, or getting wet. I don't know how the felt reacts in Florida, but here it will shrink perfectly flat if given some time in the sun. And soon as it gets wet enough, it will buckle all over again. But it will lay flat in the sun, again. I've seen roofs around here where guys went right over the buckled felt and they've NEVER laid perfectly flat once installed, even years later.
Here's hoping yours turns out better.

Old 02-25-05, 07:45 PM
manu
Visiting Guest
If the buckels don't settle, what problems can I expect down the road for my roof?

Old 02-26-05, 06:26 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not sure there will necessarily be any problems. But have seen where "humps" of one kind or another have "troughed" just enough water sideways to allow entry in such a way as to cause a leak. But other than cosmetics, I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
One other potential problem, depending on a variety of "mystertious" factors I won't pretend to know, is IF there is moisture under there which caused the felt buckling, it may shorten the life of the shingles.
I understand Florida is humid. That is not familar to me as I work in a "dry" climate {although we get our share of snow, rain, hail, etc.} There may be factors specific to your area you want to know about. Why not call your building dept. and ask them "what , if anything" might it hurt"?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: