Leaky Stucco ???

Old 02-25-05, 09:40 AM
searay1
Visiting Guest
Leaky Stucco ???

With all the rain in southern Cal, water has found it's way into my house. I've had to rip out carpet and pad and about 12" of drywall (along the flooded walls) to dry things out. The concrete slab is higher than the water level, so I'm guessing the water is seaping through the stucco. There are some thin cracks in the stucco running down from the corners of the vinyl windows (that were replaced 2 years ago). I don't know exactly when the cracks appeared. The water first appears on the top of the stud that runs along the bottom of the frame (just above the slab). I'm wondering if there is a sealer I can use that will seal the stucco as well as the caulked joints around the windows (without discoloring the shinny white vinyl frames). Any advise on how to rectify this would be appreciated. I need to fix the leaks before I can fix the drywall and replace the carpet so the wife will calm down.

Old 02-25-05, 09:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Check with home depot and Lowes they have a clear sealer like that you can use. I would caulk all the cracks first.

ED

Old 02-25-05, 01:23 PM
searay1
Visiting Guest
Ed, Thanks. I was thinking of using a stucco patch, then painting, then sealing the stucco and window joints. I'll search for the clear sealer at Home Depot.

Old 02-26-05, 05:00 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Used to work in the bay area. Had much experience with sealing up water leaks derived from stucco cracks, openings, etc. We used a product called VIP, an elastomeric. It comes in various grades, from caulking grade to smooth or textured rollable grades. It's great stuff. You would fill the cracks with the caulking grade to bridge the gap, then work with one or more of the rollable grades to form a skin well onto the area surrounding the crack.

Old 02-27-05, 07:05 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree all you can do now is try to seal up the cracks and around your windows. Most likely the replacement windows were not installed properly. Specifically the required flashing around the window. These replacement window guys tearup the weather resistive barrier when removing the old window and don't take the time to repair and flash properly. VERY common problem in my area.
Jim

Old 02-28-05, 12:22 PM
searay1
Visiting Guest
Your assistance is greatly appreciated. The VIP product sounds like a good idea. I'll inspect the caulking around the windows and redo if needed. Thanks guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: