Peel n Stick

Old 02-28-05, 08:35 AM
jmagnin
Visiting Guest
Peel n Stick

Hello, I live in Southwest Florida in an area severely damaged by Hurricane Charley. Most of the roofs need replacement. Many have had their old roofing materials removed and have had their new underlayment installed and now must wait for months for their new tile to be delivered and installed.

I have notice contractors installing Peel n Stick underlayment in 2 different ways. One is to place it directly on the roof's plywood and the other is to first nail down a tar paper like underlayment then put the Peel n Stick on top of it. After experiencing a windy weekend (30mph gust) I notice that some of the Peel n Stick applied in the second manner came loose from its underlayment.

Question #1: What is the proper way to install Peel n Stick?
Question #2: How long can it be safely exposed prior to installing the tile?

Thanks you for you assistance.. John

Old 02-28-05, 09:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The proper way to install a "peel and stick" is directly to the plywood decking.

Most likely the only reason that "peel and stick" is applied over felt is because they didn't anticipate having to wait so long for the roofing material, so they just applied felt. When they found out about the wait, they probably just put down the "peel and stick". As you have seen, it was a wasted effort.

Some "peel and sticks" need to be covered with roofing material within 30 days, others have extended periods of up to 120 days. It depends which kind you get. That is just what is warrantied, though. I have seen some "peel and sticks" last much longer than that.

Old 02-28-05, 04:14 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most peel & sticks are limited to 30 days exposure in the literature. What happens is that the polyethylene top film wants to edge curl out of the adhesive layer under it. The hotter the weather, the faster it happens. The 30 day limit is for severe, hot climates. Most areas of the US will get longer exposure. In the Rocky Mountians, where we are snowpacked & cold, peel & sticks may be left exposed all winter. Watch for the edge curl....as long as it is less than about 1/2" it is OK. If allowed to much further than that, the rolled up film will be thick enough to telegraph through thin roof coverings. Valleys are more prone to this. Tip, round off all corners of triangular pieces in valleys (like single-plys). This keeps the edge curl from getting started easily.

Getting it straight is the secret of installation....you get no 2nd chance as these are sticky products. www.graceconstruction.com has a great 7 min installation video you can watch.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: