sealing perimeter of roof ?

Old 03-06-05, 05:24 PM
rynodiver
Visiting Guest
Question sealing perimeter of roof ?

I was told recently informed that the perimeter of my roof needs to be resealed. a local roofing company gave me a quote of $350, is this reasonable? what all is involved in this (perimeter sealing) if I were to do it myself? thankyou...................Rynodiver

Old 03-06-05, 05:26 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need just a teeny bit more info, like what kind of roof is it?

Old 03-06-05, 05:30 PM
rynodiver
Visiting Guest
addl. info

roof is 20 yr composite shingle

Old 03-07-05, 04:10 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not sure what they mean by "resealing." If the asphalt consists of a self-sealing type of shingle {in order to keep them down in winds} I suppose THAT's what they might be referring to. If they're talking about manually sealing down the first row of shingles to the starter shingle course, that doesn't sound unreasonable, however it should have been installed in a way that they were already sealed.

Is that what they're talking about?
And how big is the house?

Old 03-09-05, 12:59 PM
kent hodgson
Visiting Guest
Perimiter sealing?

Who told you it needed to be re-sealed? Properly installed roofing should be self sealing unless it was installed improperly or shortcuts were taken. i.e: Ice and water shield and or proper starter not installed. Or inadequate time or wrong time of the year for tabs to properly seal, but that would happen during the first few sunny days anyway. It just sounds a little suspicious to me. Where is the house? What's the pitch? When was the roof installed?

Old 03-09-05, 01:11 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Is that 20 years old roof are new and good for 20 years. I think some one is trying to just sell you something.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: