Retrofitting hurricane ties when re-roofing

Old 03-07-05, 12:13 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Retrofitting hurricane ties when re-roofing

My home was built in the 1950's near the Carolina coast, and although it's generally well constructed and came through Hugo ok in '89, I don't think it had hurricane ties installed on the wall to rafter connections when it was built. I plan to re-roof in the near future, and I've heard that this would be a good time to retrofit with hurricane ties to improve the uplift resistance. The roof deck is planking rather than plywood sheets, so by removing a couple of planks during re-roofing, I could access the wall top plate to rafter connection enough to install clips. However, the literature I've read suggests making the connection from rafter to wall plate to wall stud. My question is whether I'll be able to access the wall stud enough to install ties just by removing some of the deck planking. I have brick veneer siding, so removing siding to get to it is not an option. Is it feasible to retrofit these uplift ties during re-roofing, and if so, any recommendations on specific fasteners to use? Thanks.

Old 03-07-05, 07:38 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not sure if the hurricane ties in your area have different shapes than those we have up here in tornado country, but the most common ones we use are shaped like a square rotated 90* (so it looks diamond shaped) and has provisions for 2 joist hanger nails into each side of the rafter/truss and 5 nails into the top plate. I have yet to see any ties in our area that would extend into the wall stud, that's be one big rafter tie

If your reroofing, cutting off the bottom course to gain access from above is entirely feasible. It will make for some tight quarters nailing with the eave baord in place, so you may want to consider a pnuematic palm nailer to make the job a little easier. I have a self centering framing gun just for joist hangers/rafter ties but I think it may be too big and bulkey depending on amoount of space you have to work with, but if you COuLD fit a large pnuematic framing nailer in there, call and ask about renting the self centering framing gun, at a cost of almost $500 new, it would'nt make sense for a one time use to purchase if your could rent one.

Old 03-10-05, 08:34 PM
S
Simpson has a nice web site (link below) documenting all of their ties with some limited instructions for attaching them. You can find ties for tieing the plate to the studs as a seperate clip. If you have ply on the walls nailed to the double plate at the top I would think this would be pretty good.

I added hurricane clips (did not tie the plates to the studs) to mine this past summer and used a palm nailer for that and all other hangers that I used on the job. Picked the nailer up (ebay)for 35 bucks and was very pleased with how easy it made things.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/Category_list.html
Scott

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: