laying deck on top of roof attaching waterproofing?

Old 03-12-05, 06:37 PM
bradad4
Visiting Guest
Arrow laying deck on top of roof attaching waterproofing?

I have a deck I am going to install I would like some advice on securing to the roof .The deck will rest exactly on the perimeter of the building with no overhang .concerned about attaching and sealing and area,s where water might find its way inside the build :

Old 03-13-05, 04:24 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I do lots of these decks. Install a good waterproofing sys (Bituthene is one). Install strips of protection material where the sleepers are going to be located. Protection material could be 1/8" APOC board, or maybe 90# Cap Sheet. The sleepers are not fastened, the weight of the decking material will hold it into place. The biggest headache is detailing the railing posts.
Jim

Old 03-13-05, 05:00 AM
E
What Jim says is absultely right. Have run accross many leaking areas covered by decks in which guys/gals just nailed or screwed through the roof material, when the weight of the deck negated the need for that. And the posts DO require detailed work to seal them up. On those occasions when I've put decks back together on an area I've roofed, I create flashings that the posts sits on and IN. Then the roof can be sealed around the flashing as well. If you know what a "pitch pan" looks like, found on flat roofs, it would resemble that.

And if you think about what it might take down the road to dismantle the deck, it might encourage you you take care of any needed roof repairs NOW.

Old 03-19-05, 05:25 PM
bradad4
Visiting Guest
deck waterproof

when you refer to detail work on railing do you mean carpentry or roofing flashing etc .

Old 03-20-05, 05:52 AM
E
Detail work I was talking about would be the roofing around the posts.

Old 03-21-05, 08:15 PM
J
E.Dodge is right...best is to remove the railing posts and waterproof under them. Avoid sealing the waterproofing to the posts....when this is done, it becomes a maintenance problem in the future....especially if they are peeled logs as the radial cracks keep on growing and need to be re-sealed on a regular basis. If the posts are actually the support columns from below, you will have no choice but to flash up onto them.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: