mobile home roof over

Old 03-20-05, 06:53 PM
Subandera
Visiting Guest
mobile home roof over

Have older single wide mobile home. It had roof over when I purchased it. I have had home approximately 6 years, dont knwo how long roof over has been there before that. The home went thru Hurricaine Ivan. There are no leaks inside, but I want to make sure it is completely intact. How do I check that? The insurance adjustor did not get on roof and look at it, he jsut inspected WHOLE roof from a ladder at one end. Also, it has discolored area over the kitchen area and spotty rust. Do I paint it? do I seal it with something? or is it time I consider replacement?

Old 03-21-05, 06:17 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Subandera
Have older single wide mobile home. It had roof over when I purchased it. I have had home approximately 6 years, dont knwo how long roof over has been there before that. The home went thru Hurricaine Ivan. There are no leaks inside, but I want to make sure it is completely intact. How do I check that? The insurance adjustor did not get on roof and look at it, he jsut inspected WHOLE roof from a ladder at one end. Also, it has discolored area over the kitchen area and spotty rust. Do I paint it? do I seal it with something? or is it time I consider replacement?

Most moblie homes I've seen are of to low a pitch to use shingles on it...even though it's done regularly. See if there are any protrusions of any kind on the roof above the stained area in your kitchen, like a vent fan, skylight, plumbing vent pipes, etc. that might roughly correlate to the stain inside.
You might "test" the stain by purchasing a can of KILLZ stain sealer. Stains can routinely bleed through coats of paint over and over, unless they're "sealed". If, after "sealing" it the stain reappears, or starts to grow, it could indicate a leak.
By the way, your framing is likely not designed to handle the same wieght as a conventional "planted" house. If the time comes to re roof, better it's all stripped off down to wood deck. And, IF the roof pitch is less than 4/12 pitch, extra underlayment treatment is wise and maybe required.

If there are no protrustions which can be determined to be causing the leak, I think you may have bigger problems, such as water migrating between the shingles themselves somehow {low-pitch?}.

Old 03-29-05, 11:17 AM
When I read the OP's question, I assumed that he was referring to a stand-alone pitched roof framed up over the mobile home, but not actually connected to it. I frequently see that done in the Southeast. These are just standard three tab asphalt shignles over a wood framed structure. I assume it helps avoid leaks in the mobile home roof and probably keeps the heat down in the summer.

Old 03-29-05, 12:19 PM
He says "spotty rust", so i assume its a metal roof. I've never seen shingles rust.

You can buy products to seal metal roofing, but i dont have a recommendation for which product to use.

Old 03-29-05, 12:25 PM
I was assuming a nail head rusting. Just goes to show there is more than one way to look at things. Maybe clarification will follow...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: