Installing a skylight.

Old 03-23-05, 05:27 AM
rjc116
Visiting Guest
Question Installing a skylight.

Can someone walk my through the steps in installing a skylight? The roof has asphalt shingles. It is not a very steep roof but I don't know the exact slope. Once installed, I have to construct a chute down to the ceiling level (only about 2-3 feet. I,m not as concerned about that but would appreciate any sugestiions that will make sure this is a properly done job. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-23-05, 05:49 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Installing the chute" is probably the most important aspect of installing a skylight. Obviously you don't want the thing to leak, but there's more damage potential from "messing around" with the attic/roof framing and any possible electrical wires in the way etc. Besides asking yoiur question here, you'd be wise to buy or obtain instructions. They are free from Home Deot, Lowqes and can be found in $20-30 'do-it-yourself' books.

Old 03-23-05, 01:40 PM
Also check out a brand name "Velux", they are sometimes repered to as the "Cadillac" of Skylights, however they prefer "Roof Window"!

And a skylight kit that claims it is "self-flashing"...never works...don't believe it.

Anyway, there are some good details and instructions on there website.

Good Luck!

Old 03-24-05, 04:48 AM
E
Unfortunately, if you don't use Velux flashing kit, they void the warrantee. In fact they void the warrantee at any available opportunity.

Old 03-24-05, 07:12 AM
Why would you not use the supplied flashings?? Never had an issue with their flashings. Even had them custom fabricate some to be able to install the light rotated 90 deg.

Warranties are barely worth the paper they are written on anyway.

Use the supplied flashings and have someone who knows what he/she is doing install them...no worries

Old 03-24-05, 07:22 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

have someone who knows what he/she is doing install them...no worries
For sure when it comes to flashing and working the step shingles up around the skylight.

ED

Old 03-24-05, 06:35 PM
E
Shinstr, I'VE had a problem with THEIR flashings. As you know, besides the facvt they're made out of flimsy aluminum,
they have a teeny tiny crimp on the back side, which I've found CAN leak when "something's" going on with them...straight from the factory. And they DO look to get out of anything they can get out of, just like most other manufacturer's of everything from vehicles, to electronics, to you name it.

Old 03-25-05, 07:07 AM
I never have figured out why they think that back pan needs to have a crimp on either side. I always shingled 2 courses under and then double the first over-lying.

everyone does it different........

Old 03-25-05, 04:56 PM
E
That "crimp" is what holds 3 separate pieces of metal together to form "1 piece". I've even had them come apart on me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: