ridge vent failed during hurricane

Old 03-23-05, 09:35 PM
Naeshi
Visiting Guest

during hurricane Jeanne last year my ridge vent allowed wind driven hurricane force torrential rains to enter my attic and soak my insulation.Fortunately the excess water that was not soaked up by the fiber glass insulation (batt R30 grade) drained off through two holes in the ceiling sheer rock.My question is, is there a more reliable ridge vent on the market that will prevent a reoccurance of this problem as hurricane season is fast approaching here again on the Treasure coast in Florida. Since you are not permitted to recommend a particular brand name could you possibly direct me to an area where I might obtain this info. Thanks again
Naeshi

Old 03-24-05, 08:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Code here is saying no to ridge vents and turbines now. I have 8 button vents up near the ridge and didnt get any water in any. But the wind did take off all of my Solar panels for the pool and some shingles.

Home Depot and Lowes have them.Also power vent fans that work on a tstat that way you might need only one hole in the roof for it. The power vent is better for the AC anyhow.
Im in west palm and yes we still have lots a blue roofs

ED

Old 03-25-05, 07:51 AM
Naeshi
Visiting Guest

Hi Ed
thanks for your prompt reply. I believe Dade county has approved Shingle vent11 from Air vent for winds up to 110mph. This type of ridge vent seems to be very popular in Port St. Lucie. It is frustrating that adjacent counties would have different codes,regulations etc. Again, thanks for your imput
Naeshi

Old 04-05-05, 11:27 AM
Naeshi
Visiting Guest
Ridge Vent Failure

Anyone familiar with the new Flamco ridge vent? and how it compares with Shingle Vent 11. My contractor highly recommends Flamco.
I live in the Treasure Coast in Florida and hurricane Jeanne blew water into my attic and soaked my insulation. The contractor noticed three of the four end caps or end plugs were missing. Assuming these end plugs were blown off during hurricane could this have accounted for all the water penetration. Thanks again for any info. Hurricane season just around the corner again. We were hit twice last year ( Frances &Jeanne). Hope new pattern is not developing!

Old 04-05-05, 12:34 PM
Wink

All that I have heard .Is they think the wind blew the water on the roof back up in to the ridge vents. As its likw one piece across the roofWind here got trees and my pool solar panels some shingles but no water in any of my button vents on the roof here. We still have many blues roof around me

ED

Old 07-07-05, 06:52 PM
Mark_in_Florida
Visiting Guest
Question

Originally Posted by Naeshi
during hurricane Jeanne last year my ridge vent allowed wind driven hurricane force torrential rains to enter my attic and soak my insulation.Fortunately the excess water that was not soaked up by the fiber glass insulation (batt R30 grade) drained off through two holes in the ceiling sheer rock.My question is, is there a more reliable ridge vent on the market that will prevent a reoccurance of this problem as hurricane season is fast approaching here again on the Treasure coast in Florida. Since you are not permitted to recommend a particular brand name could you possibly direct me to an area where I might obtain this info. Thanks again
Naeshi
Hi my first post here !!! Had the same issues last year in the Winter Haven area, except we got Charley, Frances and Jeanne, lost shigles and had to re-roof, re-carpwet re-drywall 1/2 of our 5 yr old house.
I was fortunate to get a new roof in October. Went with Elk 110mph shingles but my roofer put ridge vents back on....and now I am concerned with water entering. I was in the attic during the storms last year and water sprayed in from all directions with the old ridge vents.

So I am looking for a way to seal them if the storms come back....the only idea I have been able to come up with so far is to seal the underside with 2" foil duct tape !!!
Any ideas would be a big help....thanks
Mark

Old 07-08-05, 08:36 AM
Wink

Mark_in_Florida

Id take and get the roll aluminum from Home Depot or Lowes and cut strips off it and screw them on the ridge vents there. Then cut button vent in up near the ridge. I have 7 on my roof here and one power vent fan on a tstat. i had no water come in at all up here .I like you had all the wind also. We still have blue roofs around me here .
AND NOW MORE WIND ON THE WAY AINT FLORIDA FUN

ED

Old 07-11-05, 06:07 AM
Mark_in_Florida
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed

Ed thanks for the response. We watched Dennis most of the weekend...lots of rain for us too. Now I see we have Emily out in the Atlantic

You mentioned that ridge vents are not used anymore due to code changes in Palm Beach county....wish that was state wide. Still OK here in Polk.

You mentioned for me to put strips of metal on my ridge ents. I am not clear on what you meant. Could you clarify?
thanks
Mark

Old 07-11-05, 07:14 AM
Wink

You said you where going to put tape on them. I was just thinking. You could take that soft valley aluminum and cut it in strips. Bend it to fit and screw it on the ridge vent to close it off so water cant get in.

Ya-- another one on the map. Have a boy up in mobile.He said they didnt get anything at all there. Have a sisterinlaw over on the west side. Went over there for one last year. Then she came over here on the eastside for the next one.FUN FUN

ED

Old 07-11-05, 08:21 AM
Mark_in_Florida
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed...I get it now....

On your advice I was at Lowes Saturday and was looking at different metals. I found an "L" shaped aluminum drip cap about 2"x2". Looks like if I screwed one side to the flange part of the vent and the upright part would back up to to block off the upright part. In other words it would touch the edge of the upright or overhang part of the ridge vent and the other part would be on the flange of the ridge vent that anchors to the roof.

There has to be others out there with the same problem.

I know on the NEW off center vents have a "water dam" in front of the opening to keep water from being pushed in. Which was a big problem last year. All my neighbors with this type of vent had water in the house!!!
Mark

Old 07-11-05, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My 2-cents...(for what its worth)...

How much of a deck opening did your roofer leave you with? Should be 3/4" to 1" either side of the peak maximum...this might be the issue. If you look up in the attic and its wider than 1 1/2 inch or so...its too big.
-OR-
Just get rid if the ridge vent. Take it off and install a strip of plywood and felt and ridge shigles.

Then you can choose from several other venting options.

1.Possibly some of the low-profile or "pancake/button" vents Ed mentioned, (small 12" square vents). You will need several of them lined up just below the ridge to equal what your ridge vent provided.
2. Powered Vents
3. Gable Vents

Good Luck!

Old 07-11-05, 05:29 PM
Mark_in_Florida
Visiting Guest
Thanks Shinstr for your "2" cents....it all adds at some point

I have about 70 feet of ridge vent and I think long term it was a poor choice on my part. I didn't take the time to research the vent options. I had a chance to get the roof done without waitng months like my neighbors and had to act quickly. State Farm paid quickly and I knew a licensed roofer with access to materials. I had almost 1/2 my roof under tarps due to loose shigles and exposed wood.

Not like some who are still haggling with roofers, mortgage companies and insurance companies We still have tarped roofs around here;

I also have gable vents and they let water in real bad. We had 80-100 mph winds and water coming at us at 90 degrees. We had not had any Hurricanes in this area (between Tamp and Orlando) since the 60's. Long before I moved here.
Mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: