adding gable roof

Old 03-28-05, 01:16 PM
bri365
Visiting Guest
adding gable roof

hi we have a 1978 70x14 mobile. We want to add a gable roof over the existing rubber roof (which has a patched leak). We were contemplating a metal roof like those on pole barns. Also would that be too heavy to add on top...maybe need to have 2x4's for support? We also want to redo the vinyl siding and skirt...all at the same time.Do you have any suggestions about how to go about it? thanks!

Old 03-28-05, 03:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Do you have a flat roof now? If so the extra framing needed could add a significant amount of weight. If you are planning to reside the ext. why not consider putting down a block foundation adding 2X4's to the exterior [screwed into the trailer framing and resting on the block] that way you would have the support you need plus be able to add insulation. It is a little more work and expense this way but would make for a solid home.

Old 03-29-05, 06:17 AM
bri365
Visiting Guest
To answer your question I have a crowned roof that is made out of metal. It is about a 7" rise at the peek of the crown. I would like to install a metal gable pole barn style roof with a 4/12 pitch. I am looking for guidance and information on how to install this application. I was advised that the the trusses can be 10 feet on center with five purlins on each down side of the trusses. Is there is an existing prefabricated kit? Or does it all have to be built from scratch? Also, I plan on installing vinyl siding over the existing corrigated metal siding. Do I need 1X2 baton stripes to anchore the vinyl siding? Or what do you suggest. Also, I have a question as to framing the windows and doors. Currently the windows and doors are flush with the siding. Once I add the baton strips, foam installation and vinyl siding the new siding will extend approximately 1 1/4 inches from the windows and doors. Is there is any guidance or information on the internet or any other source that I can utilize to get me through this project? Thank you. Bri365

Old 03-29-05, 06:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'll answer the easist question first. Yes you need to fur out the ext walls with 1X2 or 1X3's. Personally I would insert the foam insulation inbetween the furring strips. You lose a small amount of insulation value but if you use a house wrap it is almost non existant. If you plan to use the trailer windows just remove them, frame a new opening with strips and refasten. Replacing the windows with house windows [insulated glass] although costly is the best bet. I doubt there is any kit for what you want to do with the roof. Truss manufactures can make trusses to most any specs. Any builder or bldg supply house will know where the nearest truss plant is. If I understand what you have in mind, I think what you are trying to do with the roof make come out looking like your MH is parked under a pole barn. What I hope to do with my stepson's trailer [96 fleetwoood] when the money becomes available is to fur the roof with 1X4s [lengthways] instal foam inbetween the furring and screw on a metal roof. Of course this leaves the pitch at 3/12. Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-05, 06:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I just reread your post and you said crowned roof and I mistook it for a gable. since the crown is almost flat the trusses will work well if the sides of the MH are raised to be level with the center. Since the weight will be on the outside wall make sure the MH walls can bear the load. If not refer to my first post on how to beef up the walls to secure the load.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: