keeping water out of garage

Old 03-28-05, 09:29 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keeping water out of garage

my garage is up against a hillside, with 6-ft-plus of earth contacting the wall. with all the SoCal rain, water has intruded my garage. how can i keep water out?

Old 03-29-05, 04:38 AM
E
Need more info on WHERE water is showing up.

Sounds to me like maybe that side needs to be dug out, french drain installed, and/or wall waterproofed.

Old 03-29-05, 01:13 PM
Is the water coming in a door or through the wall? Is the wall poured cement or block?

Old 03-29-05, 04:45 PM
J
I agree w/Dodge....waterproof and french drain. A automatic sump pump might also be a solution.
Jim

Old 03-30-05, 09:43 PM
M
water in garage

i've been thinking about both the french drain and waterproofing. water seeps in joint between wall and floor. wall is hollow-block, as far as i can tell; haven't dug all the way down yet.
as for french drain, i've heard the term, but am not real familiar. how do i put one in?

Old 03-31-05, 05:43 AM
E
French drains are large plastic pipes which have holes on the bottom. After digging down to a pre-determined depth {like maybe to the bottom of the foundation/slab}, the drain is layed/burried in the trench, over a layer of gravel, holes facing down.
What happens is that water seeps into the pipe through the holes, thereby allowing it to drain before the ground becomes "water logged". Obviously you need to provide drainage from the french drain away from the garage, so it would require other solid piping, routed on either side of garage, or just one side, or however you want to do it given how your ground lays, gravity, etc. I bet that the internet has a number of illustrations if you seach Google, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: