Need advice on reroofing 1 1/2 x 12 pitch

Old 03-29-05, 12:34 PM
puglover
Visiting Guest
Question Need advice on reroofing 1 1/2 x 12 pitch

I have a simple rectangle shaped house with a rectangled shaped attached garage over due to be refoofed. Currently has tar/gravel builtup roof on a 1 1/2 by 12 pitch over a wood plywood deck built in 1965. This house is at 5500 ft in the mountains of Utah. The winters consist of plenty of snow. Rain a lot in the spring. Dry rest of the year. Min temp -20 Max temp 92.

These are the choices I am considering with a contractor doing the work:

1. Reroof with tar gravel.
2. Reroof with torch down (Modified But).
3. EPDM rubber roof (Preferably 1 piece for house and 1 piece attached
garage).
4. TPO applied in strips joined with hot air.
5. Standing metal seam roofing.

I would prefer only doing this every 20 or 30 years if possible.
I would like what ever is chosen to not require gravel over the roof. A coating would be ok.
Fireproof would be a plus.
Would like materials which don't have the pontential of leaving tar stains on the siding.

Please give me some advice to help me choose.

Thx.

Old 03-29-05, 03:41 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I live in the mountains of Utah too. I like metal over full coverage GIWS. Make sure the sliding snow won't be a problem where it lands. Metal will outlast almost anything. All of the N. Utah distributors have many flavors...Roofer's Supply, Pacific Supply, Harrington, ABC & Allied are a few. Locations are in SLC, Provo, Ogden & St. George.
Jim

Old 03-30-05, 04:55 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you're looking for 20-30 years, I'd forget the TPO. I think it has great potential, especially in lew of the fact that Torch-ons are at risk of being declared "too dangerous".
But I don't think they've proven themselves yet.

Tar&gravel roofs can be great roofs, regardless of their rep, IF installed by masters of that system. To many guys don't install the details correctly, and it's all hidden from view/inspection in the end. I did just reroof a T&G roof, up in the mountains, using a modified. His T&G roof was about 45-50 years old. But, he'd repaired various things on it over the last 20-30 years. It's not maintanance free.

Modifieds can be good {what I use in most cases}, but 20-30 years might be asking a bit much. 20 years maybe. I have some installed going on 15-18 years which are still in great shape, but were re roofed with a now discontinued product: Owens Corning Derbigum. It was truely unique in that it had a fiberglass facing, which protected in far better from surface and seam cracking. It's still made by another outfit, but I can't seem to obtain it around here.

Rubber is good, and bad. Although you may have 1 piece on each area, it still is tied-in around pipes and other protrusions and they've not yet perfected the seaming, in my opinion. Rubber would require some repairs and maintanence down the road {potentially within 10 years}

Metal, with extra underlayment treatment {since you live "way up there"}, sounds like a way to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: