advice on shingles

Old 03-30-05, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advice on shingles

we are having a new roof put on and the contractor is using atlas pinnacle 35 yr shingles .i know nothing of this company. what do you think of them? the guy has done a lot of houses around town and we have driven around and looked and i havent heard anything bad about these shingles. what about light compared to dark shingles, we have seen some light shingles that have streaks on them. i guess black is supposed to absorb heat. what you think?
what should i remember when replacing a roof to ask a contractor other than vents ,tearoff,haulaway,ceanup,materials,replacing pl
ywoodwood,etc?
which vents are better?

Old 03-30-05, 12:38 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any important questions need to be asked BEFORE contracting with someone. It's to easy to divert ...make excuses, explain away some problem as "actually being a GOOD thing"...etc. But, no matter how much you actually know about roofing procedue, you should make your pressence known, make sure the roofer knows you're observing him/her/them, and keep in contact with the company owner or supervisor, etc. The guys working on your roof most likely will just barge along, paying no heed to any concern or question you might have, whereas the owner, supervisor, etc. at least SHOULD be responsive to your concerns and questions. r

Hopefully you have a detailed estimate, describing all underlayments, flashings, etc. to be installed. Try to observe what they do with these. Don't be afraid to ask "stupid" sounding questions. Then, think about the answers they give you. Roofing, besides the actual required specs, is much about common sense as well. Use yours to defend yourself against shoddy work. Don't accept anything less than "what's right".

I think I've done enough damage to your relationship with the roofer here....

And, black doesn't last as long as the lighter colored products. Atlas makes fine materials..I guess. I don't use them.

Old 03-31-05, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: