gutter cleaning?

Old 04-04-05, 06:40 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gutter cleaning?

during heavy rains, my gutters drain but they also get large drips coming off all along the underside. Does this mean that something is not working right?

I have looked up there and all i can see is some roofing sediment (not much else, we have those gutter shields), could that be causing all the fuss?

If so, what's the best way to clean gutters and how do i get those little shields off? Its like a mesh that secures in front of gutter and under shingle edge.

Old 04-04-05, 07:03 AM
E
Do you have a flashing installed at the backside of the gutters? It would be a seperate pice of metal which runs under the roof/roof felt and into the gutter. On some "original" gutters {installed at the time the house was built}, they might be "self-flashing", with a teeny lip that's bent and runs under the roof...and doesn't work very well. Just a couple of possibilities.

Old 04-04-05, 08:40 AM
K
haha...seems to me it looks like the description of the one that does not work very well!! any suggestions?

Old 04-04-05, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Well you can let it as is. Or take the shields off ,if so Id put a screen they have in the down spout hole.

ED

Old 04-04-05, 03:32 PM
E
You can still install the seperate pieces of flashing right over the gutter lip...running it under the roof/roof felt.

The drip flashing is available at the big box stores in several sizes, as well as Roofing Supply houses. If you think you could slip at least a 2inch wide flashing under the roof edge that should work...unless it's a low pitch {under 4/12}.
You'll need snips, maybe a pry bar for helping to work the flashings in place or even pulling nails that might be in your way. You can hold the flashings in place with little hex head zip screws {using a cordless drill for instance}.

Sometimes when flashing an existing roof edge, one needs to cut the flashings down from the 10ft. lengths to managable ones....depends on how easy/hard it is slipping it up under the roof edge.

Old 04-04-05, 05:18 PM
Another possibility is that they are overflowing in the heavy rains from being partially blocked with sediment, leaves, gunk.
Clean them out good and watch them in the next heavy rain.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: