rusty electric meter and gas pipes?

Old 04-04-05, 06:50 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rusty electric meter and gas pipes?

the box housing the electric meter outside my house is covered with exterior rust, as are the pipes heading to my gas meter. Is this anything to worry about? The plastic bubble on the elec. meter is still very secure and I have puttied the to of the box.

Old 04-05-05, 06:11 AM
Meter Corrison

It is not uncommon for meters to get rusty. You must be careful of what you do with these, since these are not yours. They belong to the utilitiy companies.
If you have concerns, you should contact them. Good Luck

Old 04-05-05, 06:32 AM
K
ok, thanks. actually, i called the electric company and they told me it was MY responsibility...? Seemed strange to me.

Old 04-05-05, 09:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Meter Box is yours, the meter itself is theirs, although I have heard recently that in some locals even the box is theirs.

In most cases, you are not allowed to open a meter box, that's why it has that metal ring clip on it. Some places will allow you 1 time, or 1 a year, but in most cases they don't like you opening the meter box, because they think you are trying to steal power.

Due to hurricanes, it's not uncommon for people to pull the meter themselves when they connect a generator (because they don't have the proper hook up). In thoses cases, you just explain why you did it and they will put the lock ring back on.

If it's just surface rust, you could take a wire brush and scrape off the rust and then repaint/prime it (just don't spray the meter).

On the gas main, if it's the line between the meter and the main, then that's the gas companies side. I'd call them and have it inspected. If it's between the meter and your house, it's yours. Gas lines aren't suppose to be rusting..

Old 04-06-05, 06:52 AM
K
I think its all just surface, in both cases. Still cause for concern on the gas?

Old 04-06-05, 07:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't worry about surface rust, but when it starts pitting, and it will, you may end up having to replace it, and that's just what you can see. If the exposed area is rusting, what is the part that is continually exposed to the ground doing?

Best to kill the rust now, before it gets to far, especially on the meter box, you'd be suprised just how fast that thin metal will rust away.

Old 04-13-05, 06:25 AM
K
I have looked around my neighborhood, and many of the gas meters appear to have this problem.

so could i just spray everything down with some rustoleum?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: